Young Love | Teen Ink

Young Love

September 14, 2009
By CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)


Walking around the school halls people talking about who's hot and who's not. Chatting about who they like and who they dislike, who they want to date and who they don't. I'm in middle school and already people my age are talking about dating! I think we are too young to date in my opinion. Recently my friend got a boyfriend and she's only 11!!! I think we need to live in the moment of our age. Have fun playing soccer and keep crushes, crushes until you're older. I understand kids liking the oppisite sex, but dating? I keep telling my friends that we're young and she be running around and playing sports. They just ignore me and shake it off. What do you think?



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 161 comments.


on Mar. 16 2011 at 5:30 pm
Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana
4 articles 0 photos 303 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

That's very true - thanks for saying it like that; that's what I was getting at but obviously was having some issues the day I wrote my comment.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:20 pm
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

Wow, that's impressive.  XD  Yeah, maybe you can fall in love young, but I don't think 9 year olds could handle it as well as an older person since they aren't mature yet.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:42 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Wow. People have really rigid ideas about love. I, personally, think you can love at any age. Many people just get love and lust mixed up.

on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:39 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I agree with this COMPLETELY!

on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:36 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

At middle school (and younger!) age, people's hearts are even more fragile than usual, and they probably haven't had the experience to toughen them up yet, so the heartbreak's going to be a lot worse.

Although there are many exceptions to this rule. Some people are very mature and handle things differently.


on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:31 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'm sorry that he cheated on you. : (  I detest cheaters. If I knew who he was, I'd tirade him for you.

 But some boys are so young and filled with awe of the power of the "dating" title, that they think that they can do anything. It's ridiculous, really. So in a way, girls are more emotionally mature when it comes to young "dating".


on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:25 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Candy Apple: I totally agree with you that young people may not be mature enough to realize "true" love; it' ridiculous when we hear 9-year-olds saying, "omg, I love him sooo much", or anything of the sort. 

But then again what IS "true love"? How can someone define it?

I think you can "fall in love" at any age. Most people get love mixed up with lust, and that one of the reasons why no one ever trusts teenage/preteen love. But my cousin's best friend "fell in love" when she was 10, and now she's married to this person, 20 years later. 


on Mar. 15 2011 at 6:20 pm
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

I absolutely agree. 

WriterGeek<3 said...
on Feb. 21 2011 at 1:05 pm
I think it is an individual thing. I know someone who truly fell in love at 13 years old. So some people don't date until college some date in 6th grade. It should be your own desicion.

on Feb. 21 2011 at 10:07 am
EmilyMichelle PLATINUM, Manassas, Virginia
33 articles 4 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Our truest responsibility to the irrationality of the world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find the truth."
- Madeleine L'Engle

I think we need to clear up our definition of love here...dating someone does NOT mean you are "in love" with them. I think that love takes time to grow and you really need to know someone for quite a while and know their true self before you can ever really say you love them.

on Jan. 29 2011 at 3:40 pm
deafening_silence SILVER, Miami, Florida
6 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" -Elenor Roosevelt

I agree on the part that 11 is too young to date. It pointless because you still don't understand love at that age, and relationships built on peer pressure and young feelings never seem to work out. [Of course, nothing is black and white.] I do have to say I disagree with you on the part about not dating in middle school. Dating isn't frowned upon or bad in any way. Sometimes, its a part of life that helps you grow and understand what kind of person you're looking for and just makes you who you are. I'm in middle school and I am dating this guy who was, and still is, my best friend. And we're trying not to rush things and its a great relationship so far. Its not like its a bad thing to NOT date, but it certainly isnt bad to date.

on Jan. 27 2011 at 4:11 pm
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

But you also have to realize that when you're young you're not fully mature.  So, they don't really truly understand what love is yet.  So dating young is not...in my opinion, a good thing to do..

TayLor said...
on Jan. 27 2011 at 12:28 pm

Disagree With This Statement. Its Okay To Date Young, It Better To Date Young Because Tjat Tell you That Guys Like You For Who You Are.

 


on Jan. 17 2011 at 9:41 am
Finding-me PLATINUM, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
45 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

In some ways i agree, young girls can feel love, it is programed into their brains. But some girls just go out with a boy because they feel pressure by their piers. I did that, and i wasnt happy in that relationship. Still friends w/ him, but i learned from it.

koolladgirl said...
on Jan. 16 2011 at 9:51 am
koolladgirl, Shorewood, Illinois
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
ok i see what all you guys mean but im almost 13 and i have a boyfriend.i just started dating him and we have been best friends for a long time ,i risked it all teling him that i was in love with him and he felt the same way.now we are happy but i always think about him .it is NOT puppy love,so u can date at a young age and experience love but you have to be careful.

on Jan. 8 2011 at 3:12 pm
CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin
29 articles 0 photos 90 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

:O  Juniors and Seniors??!  And yeah you're right, but to think about even 5th and 6th graders dating seems wayy young XD

on Jan. 8 2011 at 3:09 pm
Friggin_Daisy, Eloy, Arizona
0 articles 1 photo 4 comments
I agree but then disagree. I was dating Juniors and Seniors when i was say, 12? Idk, I was in the 7th grade. Yeah, it hurt ALOT. Alot of drama that I DIDNT need at that age. But also, dating..isnt bad. Dating lets you 1, get to know people..2, helps you decide actually what kind of guy/girl is right for you. 3, makes you who you are. So for me, it was drama and it hurt, but it made me who I am today. I am 15 years old, and for once I'm dating someone my age. Who I dated in the 7th and 8th grade, made me decide the choices I make today. :)

on Dec. 24 2010 at 3:11 pm
i agree love has gotten out of hand in middle school. at a party, 5 sixth graders were crying in the girl's bathroom becouse some boy broke up with a girl....So much unnecessary drama.

on Dec. 13 2010 at 3:34 pm
younge love usually gets on my nerves i find my self asking why doesnt anyone like me when i should be focusing on academics trying to find my place in this world having to deal with things like im not goood enough or even that pretty i have a question what is younge love???

on Dec. 12 2010 at 10:58 am
_helenhorton SILVER, Springfield, Ohio
7 articles 3 photos 34 comments

I agree with you but i disagree with you.

Yes, live in the moment with your age, have fun, and be carefree, but they can still ahve crushes and dream about guys/girls. I had a bf at 11 but we weren't serious. i think it's that rush of "omigosh, he/she's perfect" is what you guys seek for.