English Class Stories | Teen Ink

English Class Stories

Today in English we read the story “The Gift of the Magi.” This was followed by a discussion on love. We talked about how Jim and Della gave up their most prized possession to show each other how much they loved them, but they didn’t need to. They already knew they loved each other. Thinking of only themselves, they wasted money, but showed love to each other.

I thought it was interesting to look around the classroom when our teacher was talking about love. Most of the girls were starry-eyed, some daydreaming. Some of the boys were not particularly interested, but being in a high level English class, politely payed attention. Yet other boys just randomly looked off into space.

Everyone has different experiences. It caught my attention, seeing every person’s reactions to hearing about true love. What will I experience in life? I am saving myself for marriage, whatever high school will throw my way. I hope I get married and have a long life and truly love my husband and that he loves me like Jim and Della love each other.

-Duckie- GOLD said...
-Duckie- GOLD, West Fargo, North Dakota

Your heart is a weapon the size of your fist. Keep fighting. Keep loving.
-Anonymous

the Gift of the Magi is one of my favorite stories, I appreciate this article though I don[t know if "wasting" money is the word I would use- after all, Jim could get a new watch, and Della's hair would eventually grow back out. Have you read other O. Henry stories? My favorite is "The Last Leaf".

ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

"It's not what we are born, but what we grow to be."

"you think that because I am Poor, Obscure, Plain and little, that I am Soulless and Heartless. I have just as much soul as you and full as much heart"

Not every girl is like that, I'm not, i'd prefer something that meant something to me rather than chocolates and roses

Aderes47 GOLD said...
Aderes47 GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love.
Henry Drummond

I think she meant by showing more on the lines of hugging and kissing and being affectionate and stuff like that. I can tell that just by the things she said before. But who cares if she's materialistic? Every giri likes chocolates and roses. :) 

ClaraRose SILVER, Glasgow, Other

How do you mean show you, a husband buying his wife a card or chocolates or jewellery is not showing his love, he is merely giving a gesture, you should want him to love and cherish you, to trust you with every fibre of his being, thats love for you

HannaMae SILVER, Ljsfvnsopdfnae, Washington

"Your the best thing sence Dino Chicken Nuggets!" - No Effing Clue :)

I agree with you. I want a guy to respect me and love me with everything he has. And I want him to SHOW it too. I think true love is different for everyone tho.