What is Love? | Teen Ink

What is Love?

By eosberg SILVER, Grand Island, New York
eosberg SILVER, Grand Island, New York

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall." -Nelson Mandela

What is love? It’s the butterflies that fill your stomach when you lay eyes on that special someone. It’s that anxiety you feel when you’re apart for what you think to be an eternity. It’s that desire to see someone no matter how you feel. Your heart pounds, your body weakens, you feel like you’re dreaming. That is love.
The word love holds much more meaning than some believe. Love is the realest thing in the world-more real than the breaths we take, more real than the tears we cry. It’s a shame that some will never experience the strongest feeling in the human body, stronger than hate and stronger than sorrow. It’s a shame that some fall not into love but into a fallacy of love. Some throw around the word like it’s nothing, like being in love happens often. These people couldn’t be more wrong. Love is genuine, precious, and sacred. It makes the impossible possible.
Love takes time. It’s not something that you feel in a day, a week, or a month. Love is something that grows- it starts off as an attraction, builds into a friendship, turns into a care, morphs into a devotion, and finally emerges into love.
Love goes beyond the dictionary definition of a strong bond with one, because the truth is nobody can sum up love in a sentence or two. Love is more complex than any other word in the English language. Love is power, love is work, love is fun, love is free, love is beautiful, love is everything you can possibly imagine summed up into one word.