Prevent Teen Pregnancy | Teen Ink

Prevent Teen Pregnancy

By S.Bates SILVER, Columbia, South Carolina
S.Bates SILVER, Columbia, South Carolina

"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

I am a 15 year old high school student who is very proud to say that I still have my "V Card". For the past two years I have dealt with alot of pressure to have sex. When I think of sex , I think of teen pregnancy, STD's and being stereo-typed. According to statistics ,Nearly half (46%) of all 15-19 year olds in the U.S. have had sex at least once. This makes me feel the need to be a voice for my peers. I think its pitiful to see teenagers throw their lives away because they thought they were in love and that love turned into sex , sex then turned into another pregnant teen. I feel that the girls who are getting caught up with these boys are lacking some sort of love at home and fathers or father figures to give them knowledge to be aware. Girls feel like since no one loves them at home, they will go out and find love. As soon as she finds a boy and he tells her I love you and makes her feel special, she gives him everything. Everything meaning her virginity. An estimated 750,000 teens will become pregnant this year. What this says to me is that there are more and more teenagers forgetting about the importance of education. Knowledge is power. How possible is it for a teenager to raise and teach another being when they have not met their full potential? The answer is it's impossible. The majority of pregnant teens lack knowledge because sex was more important. What ever happened to achieving long term goals like going to college, preparing for success, and being all you can be? There are some qualities you need to help prevent teen pregnancy. You need high self-esteem and self worth because once a boy tells you he loves you, you will feel so good about yourself and love who you are, what he says will not matter. Confidence is the icing on the cake. You stand strong with your benefits and feel great about the decision to stay sex free!

I hope that this article will inspire at least one teenager to make the right decision to be sex free. This way teen pregnancy isn't the issue.

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

I totally I agree with you there are to many teenagers out there having sex and not spending enough time in the book san preparing for there future~ so get to work on that and not worry about doing this kind of stuff till later when your not a teen for goodness sacks!

_worth-it_ said...
Yes, I totally agree with you, and keep up the good workk....your doing great, better than me!!

Diva Monika said...
You go DIVA I am so proud of you!!! Keep up the good work.

wixchick BRONZE, Marion, Indiana
I think your message is correct, and it is delivered well. I feel mostly the same, and also think a girls relationship with their mother counts for something, too. A number of girls who don't get along with their mothers rebel, which can sometimes lead to the backseat of some boys car. Well done. I look forward to hearing more.

LGeorge said...
I think this article should be published for every teenager to read. This is definately food for thought. I look foward to hearing more from this author.

plpadilla said...
GREAT Job. I love everything about this article; these meaningful and inspiring words coming from a teenage girl is outstanding!