Denying Same-Sex Marriage is denying the Right to Love | Teen Ink

Denying Same-Sex Marriage is denying the Right to Love

By Faithch BRONZE, South Park, Pennsylvania
Faithch BRONZE, South Park, Pennsylvania

Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.
J. K. Rowling

Boy meets girl. Boy and girl like each other. Boy asks girl out. Boy and girl get married. When will it be acceptable for the circumstances of this classic story to be “boy and boy” or “girl and girl”? The United States of America was founded upon equality of all men, and we have definitely come a long way. Every race and gender has the same opportunity to achieve great things. Why is it that people are judged, ridiculed, criticized, and denied rights for loving the person they do? I personally believe that it is time for America to wake up and realize the reality of a changing world.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no official religion of the United States, so saying it goes against the Bible or God’s wishes should not be brought up in arguments against the legalization of same-sex marriage. Churches and other religious groups should have the right to decide whether or not they will marry gay couples, but the government should not. In addition, using the argument that it isn’t right is also very vague because who determines what is right?

Marriage isn’t about government; it’s about love. When the government gets involved, it makes marriage less sacred and beautiful. Saying that same-sex marriage should be illegal is basically saying that love is about taxes and buying houses together. It’s not; marriage is a promise to love each other, care for one another during the hardest times, and respect one another.

America was founded on the goal to make an accepting, free country. Every man is entitled to “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness”, and if you find the pursuit of happiness in your love for another individual, whether that love be of the opposite or same gender, you should be allowed to spend the rest of your life with that person.

After discussing the topic in my American Civics class, I felt the need to express my ideas through words.

Emmasj said...
Well, strictly speaking, what is "natural"?  It means something that happens in nature, right?  There are hundreds of species of animals that have been recorded with some individuals having same-sex relationships. They can't reproduce, but that doesn't stop them from trying!  Therefore, saying it's unnatural is quite untrue.

Artemis said...
Well, Ademais. That is truely one of the most disgusting and inappropriate comments I have ever heard. Who are you to judge what is natural and what is not. Do you know what is wrong? It is wrong to kill, abuse, destroy, and hurt others. These poor people are simply trying to find the love that is so very scarce in this world, yet people like you seem to feel you have the right to judge them for doing no wrong. You are taking away freedom and mental abusing homosexuals with your vocalizations and that in my opinion is far more wrong than love. You have been brainwashed.

Faithch BRONZE said...

J. K. Rowling

Ademais,

It's unnatural if they were to have KIDS together.  It's not unnatural for them to LOVE each other.  Love can't be defined or explained properly, so there's absolutely no way to put limits on love. 

"Something that's wrong shouldn't be legal."
---Who's defining what's right and wrong?  I believe that eating animals for my own benefit is wrong, but I'm not going around saying that it shouldn't be legal because everyone has different beliefs about right and wrong.  Certain things like murder and stealing are wrong and SHOULD be illegal because it's harming another person, but same-sex couples are not hurting anyone.

Demi said...
What about a man and a woman who gets married and they can't have children....do we say that they are not natural?

Faithch BRONZE said...

J. K. Rowling

It's not natural for us to drive cars everywhere.  Do you think that should be illegal?

Faithch BRONZE said...

J. K. Rowling

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Look Ademais, it is natural. Why do you think it exist? You don't choose to be gay, you are born with it! If you were homosexual and you had a partner the same sex as you and you wanted to get married, you would want the right to get married to them! You can't put yourself in their shoes because you don't what's like and I'm not homosexual so I don't know what it's like but I support EQUALITY. I think they deserve, just because they can't reproduce children doesn't mean it's unnatural. They could adopt! There are billions of homeless and parent-less children waiting for a home. Think about that. And not every person wants kids, so if you say that a man and a woman get married, and they can't produce children for some reason, does that make them unnatural? Seriously? Gay marriage isn't affecting you. If it is honestly ruining your life, I would like to see evidence to back it up.

GREAT article. We need more people who believe in equality in the world.

alicebrooke said...
amazing faith, purely amazing(:

michellelb2012 BRONZE, North Truro, Massachusetts

Live life fully while you're here. Experience everything. Take care of yourself and your friends. Have fun, be crazy, be weird. Go out and screw up! You're going to anyway, so you might as well enjoy the process. Take the opportunity to learn from

I completely agree with the fact the government shouldn’t bring religion into the legalization and creation of laws. Its completely wrong, and possibly unconstitutional to tell someone they cant marry the person they love because their partner is of the same sex. If we cant bring religion into schools it shouldn’t be brought into the government.