5 Signs You've Been Replaced | Teen Ink

5 Signs You've Been Replaced

By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

1. THE INSIDE JOKES

So, originally, you and your best buddy were all laughing with random things that meant nothing to anyone else. If all of a sudden you see your best friend dancing like a freak and speaking in some unreal language with a new person, it's time to get your pick axe ready: the avalanche is coming.

EMERGENCY SIGN: The avalanche has begun if the jokes are about you...and they're more than playful.

2. THE FRIDAY NIGHT STORIES

You and your friend used to spend nearly every Friday night together, eating popcorn and watching craptacular movies. Suddenly, you find yourself alone, and your insensitive, ignorant friend starts talking about their awesome, fun night with their new buddypal in front of you. At this point, I hope you're wearing your hardhat, because the rocks are beginning to fall.

EMERGENCY SIGN: You know you're in danger if suddenly your friend is busy each and every week.

3. THE SLEEPOVER REJECTION

Say you're having a sleepover with your friend and their new friend. Or maybe you're paired with them in science class or whatever; I'm too lazy to go into detail about more than one example. If your friends are off in the corner giggling and being stupid without you, and you're on your laptop writing articles about the signs of being replaced, then you know something's up. Tie yourself to the nearest tree; the rocks are hitting you hard.

EMERGENCY SIGN: If THEY have a party and don't invite you, don't hold your breath the friendship of yours will last.

4. THE LOOP YOU'VE BEEN DRAWN OUT OF

You haven't talked to either of your friends in forever. You have no idea what the heck is going on in their lives. One day, you finally talk to one of them and you casually ask about the other friend's lives. If they flood your head with news and information about the latest happenings of your other friend, then you know they've probably been talking and haven't taken the time to call you. I mean, sure, you could have called them, but if they didn't answer, get ready. Hope you brought your safety goggles, because the avalanche is going to blind you like the sun.

EMERGENCY SIGN: They suddenly know more about your friend than you do...could be a coincidence, but it's hard not to feel like the third wheel.

5. BEING IGNORED ISN'T BLISS

There comes a day in all friendships where it just...ends. I hate to be the total downer here, but the truth hurts. (I'm not mean; I'm honest. ;) So, if all the signs above have been happening to you, brace yourself. Chances are you're the new third wheel; or even worse: the old best friend. But, seriously, don't worry. Hate to get all Oprah on you here, but if someone who you were so close to is going to replace you so easily, they weren't worth your time in the first place. So the avalanche will hit, but it will end. You'll make it out okay.

Ahh rejection. What a friend I have in you...

I think I've found my new pasttime writing! Mainly for when I'm stuck in my stories or at a lost for words in poetry.

Pardon my typos as I'm sure there are many. I usually think tons faster than I type, so work with me hear.
I wrote this in just a few minutes; it's a bit difficult to think with the giggling in the corner...=

shae96 said...
feel the same way.

whoop whoop :) -\

This has been happening to me. My "best friend" will pretty much hang out with anybody but me and she never asks me to hang out. I don't ask anymore because I know that she's probably hanging out with somebody else.

ashleybarnett BRONZE, WILMINGTON, Delaware
This is so true its scary... like i haven't realized until now but my one friend is doing this to me! this was very well written and i can totally relate

xxswaggurlxx said...
I had a best friend and all of this happened i really wish she hadent replaced me but i guess thats the way the cookie crumbles :(

norbitxx said...
norbitxx,
I really relate to this article, every word of it. 'the giggling in the corner' does my head in. I used to be really close with her but gradually we drifted waay apart. Its so annoying. They sit together in all the subjects they can, so I sit on my own in front of them. It drives me mad. Im 3rd wheeling constantly, so much its sad. Nobody texts me, i have no social life. When we were best friends, she alienated us from the bigger group, so im either awkwardly standing with the group or awkwardly standing with them.All I do everyday is watch netflix, i do nothing. ive been nice for too long. This whole time she was molding me, most of the sleepovers were at mine ( she invited herself). She wasnt a good friend but she knew basically all my secrets and still does. They have loads of fun stories like when they want to go swimming and justin bieber. I need to rant to someone, so here..

norbitxx said...
norbitxx,
Me too!! I know this was from ages ago but it is the most annoying thing on this planet. They ruin all my friendships, im going to be a loner until I graduate.

gymnast123 said...
All of that is happening to me but there are Ali Ava and Liv. Between the three of them, I do their homework. They like to take pictures with each other and I'm always the one taking the pictures

AwesomeTt23 said...
This happened to me, the fifth sign just happened like a click of a finger though, no in-between! But then I found some new friends!! But my ex-best friend and her new best friend have come along and have been ruining that friendship for me, I'm not sure what to do, any help? (And also, this is so good! Sadly it's true :()

hurt24 said...
one of my best friends replaces me all the time. i hate the feeling

hurt23 said...
i feel like the 5th one is true for me, my friend has a new friend that she likes more way than me. im getting replaced

Yeah, this is me. Every single friend I've had I've been replaced with one exception. It's a really horrible feeling and it doesn't get easier

Goodbye ex-best friend. 

I think this is happening to me right now... so sad because I'm trying to be happy for my friend Bob because he has a new friend and they have a lot of fun golfing together, but I can't help but feel so left behind and ignored.  Hopefully I'm not going to reach the 5th sign. sob... sob...

AlisonBS said...
...or you can still FIGHT FOR HER... that's the battle i'm currently facing... am i doing the right thing??

GraceJJA said...
The same actualy hapend to me! It realy hurts and now I have no friends!! Boohooo!!! . . .

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

Yeah, it is sad. :(

But thanks, anyway. =D

juliette said...
juliette, Gdynia, Other
So good! Sad but true. All friendships end someday...

Don't be a victim; be a titan.

*tear*

Thank you so much :)

TristeLuvz2Write SILVER, Groton, New York

Life's Not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
"Maybe I should call Bella and hang up!" --Quil Ateara, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

I love it! I really hope you keep writing because your amazing. :)