5 Signs You've Been Replaced | Teen Ink

5 Signs You've Been Replaced

June 24, 2010
By MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
MumblingMelanie DIAMOND, Jackson, Missouri
79 articles 0 photos 210 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't be a victim; be a titan.


1. THE INSIDE JOKES

So, originally, you and your best buddy were all laughing with random things that meant nothing to anyone else. If all of a sudden you see your best friend dancing like a freak and speaking in some unreal language with a new person, it's time to get your pick axe ready: the avalanche is coming.



EMERGENCY SIGN: The avalanche has begun if the jokes are about you...and they're more than playful.



2. THE FRIDAY NIGHT STORIES

You and your friend used to spend nearly every Friday night together, eating popcorn and watching craptacular movies. Suddenly, you find yourself alone, and your insensitive, ignorant friend starts talking about their awesome, fun night with their new buddypal in front of you. At this point, I hope you're wearing your hardhat, because the rocks are beginning to fall.



EMERGENCY SIGN: You know you're in danger if suddenly your friend is busy each and every week.



3. THE SLEEPOVER REJECTION

Say you're having a sleepover with your friend and their new friend. Or maybe you're paired with them in science class or whatever; I'm too lazy to go into detail about more than one example. If your friends are off in the corner giggling and being stupid without you, and you're on your laptop writing articles about the signs of being replaced, then you know something's up. Tie yourself to the nearest tree; the rocks are hitting you hard.



EMERGENCY SIGN: If THEY have a party and don't invite you, don't hold your breath the friendship of yours will last.



4. THE LOOP YOU'VE BEEN DRAWN OUT OF

You haven't talked to either of your friends in forever. You have no idea what the heck is going on in their lives. One day, you finally talk to one of them and you casually ask about the other friend's lives. If they flood your head with news and information about the latest happenings of your other friend, then you know they've probably been talking and haven't taken the time to call you. I mean, sure, you could have called them, but if they didn't answer, get ready. Hope you brought your safety goggles, because the avalanche is going to blind you like the sun.



EMERGENCY SIGN: They suddenly know more about your friend than you do...could be a coincidence, but it's hard not to feel like the third wheel.



5. BEING IGNORED ISN'T BLISS

There comes a day in all friendships where it just...ends. I hate to be the total downer here, but the truth hurts. (I'm not mean; I'm honest. ;) So, if all the signs above have been happening to you, brace yourself. Chances are you're the new third wheel; or even worse: the old best friend. But, seriously, don't worry. Hate to get all Oprah on you here, but if someone who you were so close to is going to replace you so easily, they weren't worth your time in the first place. So the avalanche will hit, but it will end. You'll make it out okay.


The author's comments:
Ahh rejection. What a friend I have in you...

I think I've found my new pasttime writing! Mainly for when I'm stuck in my stories or at a lost for words in poetry.

Pardon my typos as I'm sure there are many. I usually think tons faster than I type, so work with me hear.
I wrote this in just a few minutes; it's a bit difficult to think with the giggling in the corner...=