I Want to Hold Your Hand | Teen Ink

I Want to Hold Your Hand

By reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio
reginalove SILVER, Lorain, Ohio

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."

Being a teenager nowadays is hard. We have so much to worry about. Fitting in, being popular, picking the right college, making friends, acne and teenage love are all burdening us. Teens also have to deal with bullying and its new form: cyber-bullying and also deal with the pressures of drinking and smoking. But those are other subjects. Right now I would like to tackle the issue of teen sex.

Growing up I always knew about sex. I don’t know how or where a learned about it but I knew what it was. I didn’t know all the details but I knew it was something grownups do and make babies. It wasn’t until I reached high school I realized how many kids were actually having sex.

It seemed like everyone was doing it. Girls were getting pregnant, guys were bragging about how many girls they’ve laid. Kids as young as thirteen were having sex. It amazed me how these kids did this. Where were their parents? Where were they having sex at? I was confused because i came from a well-raised family that consisted of both a mom and dad and close family members. I wasn’t exactly sheltered but I wasn’t exposed to many kinds of things my peers were.

It wasn’t before too long my friends were doing it too and it seemed like I was the only who hasn’t done it. But I was never ashamed. I didn’t want to have sex for a long time and until it was with the right person. That’s the thing with teens these days. They are having sex just to have it. They aren’t having sex in a committed relationship. They are calling each other and just doing each other without caring that they are risking the chance of catching an STD or getting pregnant. Not only that but they are putting their dignity on the line. Girls and guys who are sleeping with any and everyone don’t have self-respect. You should respect yourself and your body and not let just anybody have their way. There’s a name for a girl that hops in bed with every other guy she talks to but I’m not sure if I can write it in this article. But it seems like a double standard because a guy gets cool points if he sleeps with a bunch of girls but a girl gets called names if she does. To me it isn’t right either way.

What happened to the simplicity of young love? What happened to the spirit of just being happy being together? Why do we have to bring in sex and complicate things? What if I just want to hold your hand? Not get in bed with you. I want to hold your hand and just be happy. Happy in that moment, content with my hand in yours. Feeling truly liked, not just because I’m a good roll in the hay but because of my mind and soul. I want to hold your hand and not have a care in the world. That is what young love should feel like. Blissful ignorance.