Lust: Good or Bad? | Teen Ink

Lust: Good or Bad?

By ShelbyMarie93 PLATINUM, Lexington, Nebraska
ShelbyMarie93 PLATINUM, Lexington, Nebraska

"When Death to either shall come -- I pray it be first to me." ~Robert Bridges
or
"Life is not a jump; it's a headfirst dive."
or
"Within you I lose myself; without you I find myself wanting to be lost again."

╔══╗
╚╗╔╝
╔╝(¯`v´¯)
╚══`.¸.Isaac H.

I have heard some people say that they think lust is a horrible, sinful thing. Still others see lust as a wonderful part of life. I have to say that I take my stand somewhere in the middle of those two beliefs.

Lust is an incredible part of a relationship. After all, God created us as humans to be attracted to each other: emotionally, spiritually, psychologically...and PHYSICALLY. Lust is a natural part of a relationship.

I, myself, have been in a couple of different relationships in my lifetime, so I do have experience on what can happen with lust. As I mentioned before, lust can be a wonderful part of a relationship... if you are cautious. In my previous relationship, lust entered too quickly, and soon I saw that it became the core of the relationship. It took the place of fun and exciting conversations and getting to know each other better, which is the whole point of a relationship anyways. Every lull in the conversation was filled with sensual, sweet nothings that left me turned on, but having the feeling that I was missing something important: an actual relationship with said person.

My current relationship is much better. Much... healthier, I think. Now, don't get me wrong, lust is a part of this relationship, too. However, the difference with this relationship, as opposed to the previous one, is that lust accents the relationship, instead of controlling it. Knowing that I have a deeper connection with my boyfriend, one that goes beyond the surface and rests deep inside, that actually allows me to be more turned on when we do have those conversations. Why? Because I know him, I know his thoughts, his heart, his motives, and I know he loves me. I know he cares about me and wants to see me happy, so acting out in a "lustful way," just comes naturally...and really is quite more fulfilling.

So, really, what I'm trying to get at here is... lust is not a bad thing, if used in moderation. I'm saying, be smart. Get to know your significant other on a more intellectual and emotional level, and the physical part of your relationship will be all the more fulfilling.