Love with the Reality Factor | Teen Ink

Love with the Reality Factor

June 4, 2011
By Mye.Lin SILVER, Toronto, Ohio
Mye.Lin SILVER, Toronto, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Justify your existence.
Create meaning" -unknown


Like at first sight, heartbreak, betrayal, revenge, all so neatly tied up together in this thing we call 'love'.
Personally, when I hear teenagers discuss love, and when reading many articles, this is what is going on in my head:
"These people are so freaking stupid."
Sorry if I inevitably offended many of you, but it’s simply unrealistic to yearn for love at this age.
It’s a natural emotion, but those who are heartbroken because their other cheated or something wouldn't have to bear the pain in the first place if they just controlled their feelings.
This is what you are likely thinking now: Love can’t be controlled, love is genuine regardless of age!
Yes, that is true, teenage love exists, but I believe it is rare.
Adolescence is the transitional phase between childhood and maturity. At this time, we are all switching our old pastimes to bigger, brighter phenomenon.
All these new things that come attached to the puberty deal and we tackle that nagging old question: Who am I?
Be sober from dreams and hopes; while we explore and create, while in the process of discovering out where we fit in the world, how the heck can we be ruled by infatuation? Seriously.
To be frank, I don’t believe love can coexist with this finding your identity crap.
Love is only a distraction from you. Focus on you. Then worry about love and whether or not you’ll find it.
Life is tough enough at this age.


The author's comments:
I just got tired of all the fuss created because of this sentiment, got tired of reading endless lines of lovesick prose.