What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

November 6, 2011
By bigash123 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
bigash123 BRONZE, Merritt Island, Florida
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Ghandi


You would expect me to answer this common, sought after question with the cliché lyric from Haddaway, by screaming at the top of my lungs ‘BABY DON’T HURT ME!’ But this naive proposal forces me to wonder. Is the answer to this question found in simple places? Does the response exist under our thumb, but we are just too stubborn and shortsighted to believe it. In the stages of my adolescence, I wasn’t sure where to find love. I searched for it, along with other people, in the places where it never existed; when I ask “what is love?” I don’t mean to refer to the kind furnished by a mother or father, or the type that exists in friendship; but what I signify is the kind that fills the holes in your heart; the type of love that no mere mortal can suffice. When I say I searched for it in all the wrong places, I trusted in boys to hold my heart, and what girls don’t comprehend these days is that teenage boys can’t handle our hearts. They were not created to handle such a sensitive and emotional substance. The only person I absolutely trust with every fiber of my being, to hold on to my heart until I find the person who can handle a piece of it, is God. So the answer to this question is simple, God is love. Love is not feeling good about yourself, because someone makes you feel that way. Or giving up everything you have because you want them to ‘love’ you more. Love is trust not lust.