What is love? | Teen Ink

What is love?

By LonelyDancer GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts
LonelyDancer GOLD, Charlton, Massachusetts

~To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius. Speak your latant conviction, and it shall be the universal sense, for inmost in due time becomes the outmost~

Sometimes I wonder if love exists. Many people, the majority I think would say yes, but does it really? For everyone? Now I’m only fourteen. As I read in an amazing poem somewhere, “I am only fourteen, that’s fourteen years young.” Now I don’t know everything. Given the amount of knowledge in the world, I’d say I know almost nothing. But I do know a thing or two about love. Cliche, but true. But maybe not. I know that I love big, with my whole heart, and there for get hurt. Quite a bit actually. I know what it looks like to see two people so completely in love that nothing else in the world matters. I know what it looks like when someone gets there heart broken. I may even know what it feels like, but I will most likely be told I don’t as soon as I say something close.

I know the look of someone who is wanting the love of that one person they are closest to, but is still denied the piece of ambrosia they are longing for. I know poems on love, books, songs, personal stories, even those little show intros you see to game shows. I =know that hearts obscure everything on valentines day, and that the world, at one point or another, believes that love will come to everyone.

Now, all in all, that’s not much. I don’t know what love feels like, true love, the kind that rips you apart inside and leave you a mess, but is something you need so badly that without it you would go insane. But I’ve seen it. I don’t know what it feels like to have your heart ripped out by someone and trampled into a billion pieces by the one you want, but maybe I have. Who knows?
All I know, is that love is but one mystery of life. It’s said to exists, and many have found it. But it is still a mystery to the rest of the population, only found in tantalizing pieces, playing hide and go seek with your heart.

So go seek. Somewhere, we hope, and that’s all we can do, that love will find you. Go seek.

This has been a pondered thought for a while, one that's been rolling around in my head. I recently had a brief peak of love, and in the wallowing after effects of that brief encounter, I was told over and over and over and over again that I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not sure what got to me more, the fact I had lost that first glimpse of love, which is always the hardest, the fact that I was told I didn't have that glimpse to begin with, or the fact that those telling me I hadn't, hadn't themselves.

Honour SILVER said...
Honour SILVER, New London, Connecticut

Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~John 15:13

"Give me liberty or give me death!" ~Patrick Henry

Be brave and steadfast; have no fear or dread of them, for it is the Lord, your God, who marches with you; he will never fail you or forsake you. ~ Deuteronomy 31:6

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Great job!  It was well written, sometimes it's hard to see love.  I know it's har dto see and find sometimes, but just looka round you, GOD love dyou enough to let you breath, to send his SON to die for you.  There is love everywhere.  It's just hard to see and hard to understand sometimes. GOD bless you!  

Thank you! The last lines are probably my favorite part to, and I wrote it. :)

GreekGoddess BRONZE, Andover, Connecticut

"The unprepared rebel dies in the fire."
~unknown

That was beautilful! The last lines were perfect.