I Believe In Love | Teen Ink

I Believe In Love

By jessicaah GOLD, Huber Heights., Ohio
jessicaah GOLD, Huber Heights., Ohio

"I say what I want to say and do what I want to do. There's no in between. People will either love you for it or hate you for it. "

I've heard so many sappy love stories in my fifteen years of life, but there is one the always gets me. It will sound cheesy when I tell you who it's about, and it sounds kind of lame, but deep down inside I think its the only love story I can believe. I'm a sucker for romance. I love it. I think it's adorable. I read Nicholas Sparks books like a typical girl, and I love them. I always want to think that it's true. My parents kind of have a sappy love story, and I think it's great. Let me explain this. Both of my parents were born in Nazareth, Israel. My mom moved here when she was four, and my dad moved here when her was about twenty-three. My dad used to come to Ohio for visits to visit my mom's dad. My grandpa liked my dad and my dad looked up to my grandpa. So when my dad would come over from Israel to Ohio to visit, my mom never talked to him. She wouldn't let him in her house, which I think is a classic case of a thirteen year old. If some stranger knocked on my door who didn't know a lot of English, I'm sure I wouldn't answer either. Who knew they would get married four years later? Yeah, my mom got married really, really young. When my mom was sixteen she had her first boyfriend. She wasn't allowed to date as a kid, because a lot of Arabs are strict with that. My grandpa let her date my dad because they knew each other for so long. My dad was my mom's first boyfriend. Her first kiss. Her first and only husband. Her first time. My dad was my mom's first for everything. They were each other's first love. My dad proposed to my mom after only six months of dating, and they got married May 19, 1984. She was only seventeen. They've been married for twenty-eight years. No one has cheated on anyone. My dad is a great dad to three boys, and one girl that happens to me. I'm the youngest, and the only girl. My parents show their love so greatly and to this day, when they're around each other you can tell that they're in love. They've been in love for almost thirty years. They've been in love through the raising of four children, they've been in love through everything. They truly love each other for better or for worse. My parents are the reason I believe in love. I have my doubts because its rare for parents of children to be together still, but my parents did it. I love that they believed in love. Of all of the things my parents gave me, the most important was the hope that love still exists.

This is the true story of my parents. (: None of this is made up, and it really is the reason I believe love exists. <3