10 Tips: Rules of A Relationship | Teen Ink

10 Tips: Rules of A Relationship

By that_bookworm_girl PLATINUM, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee
that_bookworm_girl PLATINUM, Mt. Juliet, Tennessee

"True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist." -Albert Einstein

“10 Tips: Rules of a Relationship”

We have all experienced it, if from afar or up close and personal. All of us have seen our friends’ hearts taken. Some of us have love; some of us just want it. But what should you do and what should you avoid like the plague? In chronological order, here are some hints to getting love, keeping it, and getting over it.

Rule One: Don’t be scared. We all get butterflies, it’s called being human. But when your butterflies start preventing you from speaking to another human being, it’s gone too far. So gather your courage and at least talk to the person. You might be surprised at how easy it becomes.

Rule Two: Don’t be awkward. The bane of existence for new couples, this one is a very important one. Let’s say you just started dating someone and you are both still very awkward. This is when one of you needs to count to three and jump. Just go with the flow, anything is better than awkward silence.

Rule Three: Text back! With the growing amount of technology, you have to rely on your electronics to continue a relationship. Texting means everything these days; an ignored text message becomes a sign to call the police. So when the person you’re dating sends you a text, text back. Not texting or calling sends a bad message and there shouldn’t be any reason to make them suffer for your sake.

Rule Four: No pet names. “Gorgeous” and “Beautiful” are one thing; “slut” and “babe” are another. Everyone would rather be loved than used. No one wants to be someone’s belonging, so don’t call them names like they are. Names are labels and the only label that should go on your boyfriend/girlfriend is “amazing”.

Rule Five: Don’t keep secrets. It hurts when friends keep secrets, even more so when you’re dating. Telling whoever you’re dating that you’re upset and hurting shows them that they mean something to you. For their sake and yours, tell them what’s wrong before they find out for themselves, it’s better that way.

Rule Six: Give a little. Love is about sacrifice and that is the truth. But when you’re girlfriend/boyfriend is on their hands and knees trying to please you, you know it needs to stop, Compromise a little, it’s not always about you. Make sure they’re getting what they need too.

Rule Seven: Don’t risk yourself. Sister to Rule Six, this affects you as much as them. They don’t rule your life and you don’t have to let them. You can agree to things that they like even if you don’t, but don’t do it until they’re stepping on you. You have feelings too. You rule your life, not them.

Rule Eight: Only say things you mean. Again, don’t sacrifice yourself because you feel pressured by society’s idea of love. If you’re not ready for saying “I love you” or kissing, then don’t act like you are. If you don’t love them, don’t say you do. Don’t lie and pretend you like things just because they do. Life doesn’t work that way.

Rule Nine: Accept that they love you. Either way it goes, if they love you, believe it. You are worthy of love no matter what anybody has said. On the flip side, if they don’t love you, don’t push it. It makes you look clingy and gross. If they love you, they love you.

Rule Ten: Don’t show your pain if you break up. At some point in your life, you will probably reach the end of a relationship. Once you break up, don’t post pictures of you crying and feeling bad for yourself. I mean, really? Stay strong on the outside until your inside is ready to bear it.

There, of course, are many more than ten rules to a relationship. This advice may not fit your situation perfectly or at all, but there is a chance that at one point it will. If that happens, keep in mind what to do. You might need them. But one rule you will always need: stay strong.

A very true statement

Thank you :)

HannahLouise1321 DIAMOND, Delaware, Ohio
This is some really great advice! Very well worded and very wise :) Good job!

inspiredpassion08 GOLD, Vienna, Virginia

"You change your life by changing your heart." -Max Luxado

I really enjoyed reading this... sometimes u should hold on, while other times you just gotta let go.