Am I Damaged? | Teen Ink

Am I Damaged?

October 4, 2013
By AmorMoritur PLATINUM, Monroe, North Carolina
AmorMoritur PLATINUM, Monroe, North Carolina
25 articles 38 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." ~Ernst Haas


Let me start by asking a question. Am I damaged? I've never had a boyfriend, and don't plan on getting one any time soon. Does that mean there is something wrong with me, that I'm not normal? Well, no it most certainly does not. Let me start by saying that normal is an opinion word, therefore the definition of it differs depending on who you ask. I'm not damaged or messed up or ugly. What I am is fourteen years old. We think that we have advanced so much from the times of old, that we are much smarter than our ancestors. I mean, they had child marriages! But, are child marriages that much different than child dating? Well, you may be sitting there saying, of course they are! You are of course sure of your answer. Now, think of like this. There are fourth and fifth graders out there dating, these kids are only nine and ten years old. They're going on dates, holding hands, sometimes making out. I'm not saying all fourth and fifth graders. But most surely, the older they get the more intimate they get, and the more they seem like child marriages. They spend almost all their time together, they are dependent on one another, they'll generally ask one another about important life decisions and sometimes even the most minuscule of decisions. They get into arguments and can bicker and awful lot. Some of them even have sexual interactions together. So, let's review: they're holding hands, they're making out, they spend almost all their time together, they are dependent on one another, they'll ask each other about important and unimportant life decisions, they argue and bicker, and some are even making love together. That sounds a lot like marriage to me. Besides, marriage is only making it legal. Most couples act like spouses before the actual ceremony. So, am I damaged? Am I damaged for not getting involved in this archaic tradition, meant to prepare us for married life from an early age? No, no I'd say I am perfectly fine.