Love Is Love | Teen Ink

Love Is Love

When I was younger, my grandmother took me to Sunday school. I learned that God created the world. He tried his very hardest to make everything perfect. He wanted to make sure all of his creations were happy. I also learned that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. I don't remember much (because I was very young), but I remember one Bible verse. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son. And whosoever believeth in him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life. Johns 3:16" I didn't know what all of those words meant back then. It was just something I memorized to get a piece of candy. Now, having grown older and wiser, I understand what it means. To me, it means God loved the world so much. So much that he had his ONLY SON die on the cross to save me. And, if you believe in him, you will go to heaven. That may not be right, but that's my interpretation. Be it right or wrong, it is my belief. Nothing can change this. Back to what I was saying. God loves all of his children, correct? That is what we were taught. Love is unconditional. That is another lesson that I was taught. So, God loves everyone unconditionally! I am a Christian, but I believe in gay rights. I told my church this. I am no longer welcome there. It makes no sense for religions to say that being gay or lesbian is a sin. Sure, the bible says that marriage is between a man and a woman. But that is dated information. Times have changed! We don't talk the way they did. Do we? We don't dress the way they did. Do we? Times change and so do people. I don't understand why people bash homosexuality. They are stuck in their old ways. There is nothing wrong with that. Like I said earlier, opinions are opinions. They can't be changed. But I don't tell EVERYONE my opinion. Some opinions are meant to be kept quiet. I don't see why we don't just legalize same-sex marriage everywhere. My mother always told me "If you don't like what you see, don't look." and I think this should ring true for everyone. Let others live their lives! If you don't approve, don't pay attention to it! Just don't publicly humiliate someone! My father is one of the many people who cannot stand same-sex relationships. He absolutely DESPISES it. He thinks it is perfectly fine, as long as it is two attractive women. I wouldn't say I am extremely close to my father, but I do love him. I tell my mother everything and I would love to be able to tell him everything too. But there is one thing that I am afraid to tell him. I am scared to tell him that I am bisexual. I am afraid he will disown me. I am afraid he will hate me. I am simply afraid. I don't like that I am growing up in a world where daughters are afraid to tell their fathers of their sexuality. I hate that this world judges every little move I make. I am fifteen and I feel 50. The past few years have been extremely stressful! People just refuse to accept change. I don't understand what goes through people's heads! How can you love someone one minute … and then change your mind because of their preferences. I want nothing more than to tell my guy friends, father, brothers, and family that I am bisexual. But I am just so afraid that they will all reject me, I hope that one day… one day, I will be able to tell them... without the fear of judgement.