Coping Through Music | Teen Ink

Coping Through Music

All around the world, people share their feelings and emotions through music whether that's by listening to it, or making it. Music helps many people get through their "tough times" by calming them down when they are stressed, and just making them feel better in general. Personally, I listen to music as much as I can. For example, during independent work at school, or even just walking in the hallway I always have music playing.

School can be a very stressful environment and that is one of the main reasons why I always have my AirPods in. Also, the songs in my playlist usually have good memories attached to them making them even better. I notice many kids in the hallways with earbuds in which shows how much music can impact people's lives and how often they listen to it.

"According to Common Sense Media, 73% of girls and 59% of boys ages 8 to 18 listen to music. Music is often associated with other screen media tasks, and many youth multitask by listening to music while doing other activities" (Music). This article lists many benefits of listening to music and how people use it to regulate their moods, as well as encourage socialization and concentration. Teenagers and children can talk to others with similar music interests and develop increased social skills and be able to make new friends through just the topic of music alone. Also, music helps a lot of people concentrate when it comes to doing homework, or cleaning their rooms, and other daily tasks. Kids may also find comfort songs, or albums to listen to that help them deal with their emotions or make them feel more calm.

In my playlist, there are plenty of songs that I listen to for specific situations, which are usually just for background noise while I'm at school. I also have a very wide variety of music that I enjoy, like pop, rap, alternative, and many more. If one were to look at my playlist, it's pretty all over the place. When it comes to music, or movies and T.V. shows, I never really enjoy one specific genre, I'm open to everything. So, if I like a song I listen to it. My top three songs that I never skip on my playlist are probably GONE GONE/THANK YOU by Tyler, The Creator, Eventually by Tame Impala, and After The Storm by Kali Uchis. All of these songs have memories tied to them, or just a person that they remind me of, which makes them more meaningful to me. These kinds of traits are what make music so comforting. Overall, music can impact people's lives greatly and help them cope with difficult situations in their lives, as well as benefiting people's focus, social skills, and their moods.