And then there was music | Teen Ink

And then there was music

By Aimee Pacheco BRONZE, Lawndale, California
Aimee Pacheco BRONZE, Lawndale, California

I wake early one morning to the sound of my favorite song “Say It” by Blue October. I didn’t perceive where it was coming from since my ears were still getting used to being awake and alert. However, even when they were half asleep they were able to capture those sound waves which I found so incredibly attractive. My parents on the other room however did the noise so attractive. They were incredibly annoyed by riffs and bangs off the song. To them it was nonsense that spoke of nothing but pointless depressing lessons. To me the vibrant sounds of the electric guitar tightened my stomach because of the anxiety it caused in me. I wasn’t sure why it made me feel anxious and inspired. Yet I found myself banging my head and tapping my foot while stringing my imaginary guitar mimicking the sounds of the guitar this way. Then I stopped to think what life would be without music. Is it as critical in our life as water is? What’s its importance?
Men have been building musical instruments for the past million years. There is not a moment in history were there was no trace of musical instruments. This means that we can’t live without music the way we can’t leave without water nor food. Now perhaps it’s not as critical as water. Yet water doesn’t make us weep when we listen to that special song that reminds us of a loved one or a special friend. It doesn’t encourage us to dance even in the toughest of times. Life isn’t getting any easier but music helps it no get any harder. Sometimes we tend to forget the little things in life that feel unimportant at the time but with time add up to be the ones that really mattered. Music helps us remember them.
In music the rules aren’t made to provide a limit, on the contrary they are made as a base which you can add to. Once you know the basics there are no rules. Since every person is a different mind it’s a different beat. There isn’t a number that I can say in one hour that stated the different amounts of different combinations of beats, solos, riffs, harmonies, arpeggios, rhythms that are out in the world. If we would live without the vibrations of rhythmical sound in our ear, it would be like eating a juicy piece of New York stake without the juice that provides the flavor our taste buds enjoy so much, dull and dry.

wasps said...
wasps, Other
Great peice :) I totally agree :)