The Movies Of My Childhood And The Effect On My Life | Teen Ink

The Movies Of My Childhood And The Effect On My Life

May 11, 2022
By avaj13 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
avaj13 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

   Why do we like the movies we like? There are an infinite amount of answers. You may like a movie because it brings nostalgia, or maybe because it’s funny or makes you feel sad or happy. Movies are a form of escape from reality, a place where you can dream of what’s possible, movies leave you longing for what you don’t have. Everyone has their own favorite movies, and here are some of mine: Beetlejuice, Dazed and Confused, Coraline, and Edward Scissorhands. Most of these are my childhood favorites, but they still bring a sense of comfort and nostalgia upon each rewatch. 


   Tim Burton's Beetlejuice has been one of my favorite movies since I was 7. When I first watched Beetlejuice, I bought a doll and named it Barbara, after Geena Davis’s character in the movie. To give a quick summary of the film: Adam and Barbara Maitland return home after being in a car accident, having no recollection as to how they got back. The couple soon realizes they are no longer living, having died in the car crash, with only their ghostly presence to be remained. Shortly after, a family moves into the newly “empty”  country house, with hopes of peace and tranquility, which it appears they will receive anything but, considering Barbara and Adam’s plan to take back their home, with the help of a not so friendly spirit.

I was enthralled by the set design, the costumes, and all the magic brought on by the mischievous ghost by the name of Beetlejuice. I dreamt of living in their beautifully odd house on the hill and visiting the waiting room for the recently deceased. I wanted a handbook of my own and a ragged, yet cozy attic in which I had a whole miniature town, identical to the one I lived in. Now, every Halloween I watch it and am immersed in the feeling of nostalgia by the score/ soundtrack, the characters, and the humor. This most recent Halloween, I almost cried at the last scene, not because it was a sad scene but because it left me reminiscing about the first time I watched Beetlejuice, realizing how much has changed in my life since then, and yet every time I watch the movie, I am still captivated by the visuals presented throughout the film. Its cinematography uniquely displays each scene with zoom out shots, continuous shots, irregular camera angles, and more. From uncanny creatures like the sandworm to creepy sfx makeup, you never know what unexpected presence will appear next. The characters are especially interesting, entertaining, and full of genius dialogue. Tim Burton is incredible at making weird and different movies, it’s mixed media, humor, characters, cinematography, soundtrack, and plot make it unlike anything you've ever seen. Beetlejuice is full of comedy and an overall fun, extremely rewatchable film. 

   Dazed and Confused, directed by David Linklater, follows a group of high school students in 1976 celebrating their last day of school before summer break. The soundtrack sets the mood perfectly with classics like Schools Out by Alice Cooper and Cherry Bomb by The Runaways. The 70s inspired theme influenced my music and fashion taste tremendously. This coming-of-age story perfectly captures a specific moment in time with its wardrobe and set design, leaving me with the longing desire to be back in the summer of 1976, getting a burger at top notch or going to a last-minute party at the moon tower. Although I wasn’t even alive at the time this movie was set, I feel a strange sense of nostalgia for something I never even experienced. I sort of realized while watching Dazed and Confused that the “good days” pass you by before you even know you’re in them. So, I thought, maybe if I realize I'm in them, I can cherish them more, but as I thought about it further, I found that it doesn't matter what the “good days” are because while every part of your past and future matters, it's the present that really counts.  Watching this movie taught me to live in the moment. I realized that though the days may go by slowly, the years pass in a blur. Cherishing each day and moment is vital because one night could change your life forever. 


   Coraline, directed by Henry Selick, is a classic fantasy adventure movie that shaped my childhood and sprouted my love for thriller and horror movies. While this animated film is not a classified thriller, to my 5 year old self, it seemed to fit the genre. Coraline Jones begins exploring her new, boring, house, in a new, boring town when she discovers a hidden door, leading to an alternate dimension nearly identical to her own, but seemingly better. She soon uncovers the truth about this new world, realizing it isn’t so great, when her other mother’s intentions of keeping Coraline there forever come to light. I am mesmerized by the universe created by this movie, the animation is cinematic perfection. I have always wanted to live in the Pink Palace, which is a bit creepy but beautifully designed. The amount of detail and dedication that went into this movie is incredibly unique and inspiring, it seems I notice something different each time I watch it. The use of color, one of my favorite details in the movie, is shown to depict which house Coraline is drawn to. When she first moves into her house, it’s shown with blues and grays, cool tones which give it a cold, unwelcoming feeling. Once she goes through the small door, entering the other dimension, the house all of a sudden is full of warm shades, like oranges and pinks, to represent Coraline’s almost immediate fondness of the new inviting home. But towards the end of the movie, once she discovers the truth behind the alternate dimension and how unfriendly it really is, the house changes from warm yellows to dark purples and blues. The characters are yet another thought out piece of this film. From Coraline herself, to her parents, her neighbors, and even the black cat that roams about, I feel immediately drawn in by their depth. Each character has its own distinct features that make them memorable and unique. Coraline is the perfect rainy day movie watch, the stormy weather in the animation, the unsettling plot, the homey feel of the stop-motion, and the soundtrack being eerie yet somehow soothing makes it a truly comforting movie. Coraline is full of fun adventures making it easily entertaining, but you leave thinking  about the moral of the story: to never take for granted the things and people you have. Wanting more out of life can end up bringing you unhappiness, and learning to be appreciative with what you are given is a great way of looking at life. 


   Edward Scissorhands, directed by Tim Burton, is a heartfelt story centering around a machine-made man named Edward, created by a scientist who died right before finishing his creation, leaving Edward stranded in his castle-like house on the top of the hill, its large rooms filled with the loneliness of the man with scissors for hands. Peg, a loving mother and saleswoman living in the neighborhood beneath the hill, stumbles upon Edward and realizes his conditions: living all by his lonesome, and with no sense of the world around him. Peg offers her hospitality by taking it upon herself to nurse Edward into society, she even gives him new clothes to better fit in. While living with Peg and her family, Edward forms a connection with Peg's daughter, Kim. Because of the isolation Edward faced in the years after his creator’s death, his communication skills are a bit warped according to the people living inside their pasteld homes. Edward was only taught the basics needed to live life, he learned manners and how to talk to others but he lived all alone for many years, leading to his inexperience in forming relationships with those around him since there was no one around him. Despite Edwards want to be normal, his artistic creativity, and the kindness bestowed on the animated man by the family that takes him in– Edward's hands, and loveable but seemingly off putting personality continue to be a source of difference, forever causing him to be an outsider. Color is used very creatively through the film. Right below the hill, upon which Edward lives, is a cookie-cutter neighborhood, in which each house has a pastel coloured theme. Edwards house is dark, dreary, and mysterious, which contrasts with the bright perfect tones of the neighborhood’s homes. His dark outfit accentuates the disparity between the characters since everyone else wears colorful clothing and lives in pastel colored houses. This stylistic difference in color represents Edward sticking out like a dim cloud in a clear sky. Towards the end of the movie, the suburb (all but Pam and her family) turns their back on Edward, and in that moment, he aggravatingly tears off the clothing given to him to better blend in, reverting back to his darker outfit in which he had underneath, since he no longer feels a part of the community. While in this instance his distinctiveness seems like a bad thing, it is not necessarily so. His clothing can also be used to display his unique personality and look, his artistic ability, his creativeness, and his heart of gold. Edward Scissorhands brings me to tears with its heart pounding romantic plot and tear jerking ending. This film taught me that fitting in isn’t a necessity and shouldn’t be a goal. You should be able to be yourself without having to think about how others perceive you or whether you blend in with the people around you. In fact, this film encouraged me to find what makes me unique and be proud of it. You should find the people that will love you no matter who you are, the people that will celebrate your uniqueness, and the people that will dance in the snow that you make.  


   Many of my favorite movies are my favorites from childhood, carrying nostalgia with every rewatch. I have seen these movies more times than I can count, and know them like the back of my hand. Each of these movies is unique and leaves me longing for a world which is not mine. But while that is true, a movie can teach you to see the beauty in your own life and treasure the world which you are given. Even if that is not possible, watching a movie can be a form of escape, when things are too overwhelming or you just need a break. Loving a movie is something amazing and beautiful, they can bring out the best in you and make you view your entire world differently. Find a movie that is special to you, and cherish it with all your heart. 


The author's comments:

My passion is in film and getting out all my thoughts about my favorite movies was very therapeutic, I love writing movie reviews because it gives me a opportunity to get out what I was thinking and this essay felt a similar way.