The Buzz About Twilight | Teen Ink

The Buzz About Twilight

By Molly Glick SILVER, Short Hills, New Jersey
Molly Glick SILVER, Short Hills, New Jersey

'I envy anyone with rainbow
knee socks. I can't find any!'

I'd like to address to buzz about Twilight with my sincere opinion.
I find the book and movie disgusting, bland, and not at all to my interest. Apparently, no one in America seems to agree with me.

I've recently found that the popularity rate of Twilight raised a great deal AFTER the movie came out in 2008. Strange, because I thought every one loved the book series. Evidently, after the movie, with the "hot" Robert Pattinson, I believe that teens and tweens felt dedicated to read this book for the sake of good ol' Rob, and to join their friends to feel a comfortable sense, fitting in. Their pure attraction to the style and look of the movie lead to the true discovery of the series, and so forth, book sales sky rocketed.
For some reason, I think Twilight readers only read the books and viewed the movie because it seemed, and still does, "cool" and new.
Another theory. Maybe a person just feels satisfied after reading a, what, 1000 page book in a week. I've heard lots of this kind of chatter among my friends, so maybe Twilight fans also like to brag to their friends about reading a big, long book. Not that the quality of the literature works, which, believe it or not, is the whole point of a book.
Twilight is another cult that will soon pass. I don't think the buzz is really worth it, and after reading this article, you should agree with me.

on Jun. 15 2010 at 8:35 am
jbutterfly10 GOLD, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

There is a time for everything under the sun:~

I know! It keeps you on the edge of your seat. I thought the ending was sad though:-) With Fred, Tonks, and Lupin...

on Jun. 15 2010 at 8:33 am

Ok, I read Twilight before it became a movie, like all yall. I actually didn't like it as much. It was just to.... mushy, ya know what I mean? Now, Harry Potter could keep me on the edge of my seat no matter how many times I read it. Bella's kinda an idiot.

juicyfan6 BRONZE, Mount Laurel, New Jersey

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." - J.K. Rowling

lol same! J.K. Rowling writes really well. :)

OMG I agree with you. I've read the last book of Harry Potter like a million times. I write because of J.K. Rowling and it's a LOT smarter then Twilight.

Madie-R BRONZE said...
Madie-R BRONZE, Trussville, Alabama

Its only the truth, just embrace it.

I totally agree with you

SmileAndTheWorldWillSmileBack SILVER, Luton, Other

Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable.

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. - Albert Einstein

I can understand why people get annoyed with twilight fans. Its true, some of the things they do are scary obsessive and just plain irritating but not every twilight fan is like that. Read my article about why I like Twilight and I hope you'll understand some of the reasons why it has such a large fan base. I'm a major fan...but I don't scream and chase the actors or obsess over everything Twilight. I genuinly like it for its story and strange morals.

TeenInk.com/opinion/pop_culture_trends/article/195276/A-Twilight-AddictionNo-longer-in-the-Dark/

ReadingFanatic SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“Nobody important? Blimey, that’s amazing. Do you know, in nine hundred years of time and space I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important before.”

Well thinking about it, Twilight, the first book was pretty good. They should've stopped right then and there with the series though. No movie or fan hype, just a good book.

Harry Potter, is pretty much a classic. One of the top book sales ever, and it's been out for 12 years, and people are still talking about it.

Twilight (first book) has been out for 5 years, and is already loosing its hype. Soon enough Robert Pattinson, and Kirsten Stewart are going to be on a Where Are They Now show, I bet you.

Nellic said...
Nellic, Clarksville, Tennessee

"So it goes." -- Kurt Vonnegut

This is probably the most intelligent comment I've read in this entire article. Thank you for having the capacity to form an opinion about a book based on its literary merits other than just its "hype/buzz" or apparently hideous actors. It is a poor excuse to dislike a series simply for its overblown franchise, bad movie rendition, and rabid fangirls. While it is indeed difficult to enjoy something due to aspects such as the above mentioned, I personally would much rather judge a book on its literary values, as that is what develops a strong author.

I LOVE Harry Potter. @ HermioneLunaGinny432 I can tell how much you love it by your username lol.

I love how the majority of articles here are about Twilight lol. I didn't like how Twilight was written AT ALL. I think Stephenie Meyer had a good idea with the plot--you have to admit, her books DID sell--but it was written poorly. J.K. Rowling is one of the best authors--her vocabulary is rich and varied, and her stories run along smoothly.

Alpha-Lyrae GOLD, Toronto, ON, Other

"I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." -Galileo Galilei
"In the Beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Ew, really? Sorry, just my humble opinion but he is rahter -ummm, how to put it lightly - nauseating.

Alpha-Lyrae GOLD, Toronto, ON, Other

Right, sorry, I must disagree with mitchell_3. The Twilight Saga is overrated, and involves very little immagination to comprehend. It is, to all intents, a romance novel, albeit a romance with non-human aspects. Sure it was a good enough book, the writing astyle got to me at some points, but the story was good enough. It was a good plot line, perhaps a better author could have done it more justice, but that does not warrent all the obsessive Twilight-mania. Now suddenly everyone is in love with vampires, all you see in the teen section of Chapters (or whatever bookstore you happen to go to) is vampires upon vampires upon vampires. IT GETS OLD! Twilight is not entertaining. It shoudl just stay a cheap conveniance store romance and everyone should forget Edward Cullen and get on with their real lives.

mollyg said...
you are definitely right. Twilight was written in a very sloppy sort of way, like the author wanted to crank out the books for money. Harry Potter uses higher vocabulary and the author is talented and actually knows how write a classic.

FizzingWhizbees27 BRONZE, Davis, California
What is intertameint? Is this a new word? Please, explain what it means to me.

I agree with you 100%/. Twilight is the disgusting story of one Mormon girl who is weak until she has a child. The books are poorly written and have little plot. I used to like them for some, bizzare reason. I realized how sexist and just plain ol' awful it was after awhile. I now LOVE LOVE LOVE Harry Potter, in case you couldn't tell from my screen name ;). Harry Potter is the best book series I have read, and fans are willing to criticize the movies. People that dislike Twilight have higher intellect than those who love it. i think.

adsfasdfsdf said...
adsgsujsfhsdfgasd;fhaskldjfhsadjkfhkaosdfjkla;ashoiagsdlkfjal;sdfja;lksdjf;alksdjf;alskdfja;lskdfjal;kdfj

asfgasdf said...
asfdgafdsgsdfg

dhsafosdfa said...
sd;aklfasd;ofihas

TWILIGHT SUCKS.

i hate it with a passion.

. said...
OMFG how can you think that Robert pattinson is hideous i think that he gorgeous nd sexy i have tons of posters of him in my room and he will the coolest celeb ever!!!!