Remembering the Classics | Teen Ink

Remembering the Classics

By SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming
SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming

"History is the key to the future"--Melinda Emerson
"Never tell the truth to those unworthy of it"--Mark Twain

Teens, actually, everyone, nowadays, do not appreciate classic movies or television shows. Today, everyone watched reality shows, or other shows and movies with more violence and sex than necessary. Parents are never sure what to let their children watch anymore.

Back in the fifties and sixties, the media was more censored, and everything was geared towards the whole family. Take "Leave it To Beaver" for example, there were morals in the story, with some comedy, and it was great for the whole family to watch, the parents didn't have to make sure it was appropriate before-hand. Comedy the was great for the whole family, but now there are dirty jokes everywhere, and it just isn't funny anymore.

What is happening to our society? Think of the actors and actresses who are doing the acting. I'm sure many of them would much rather be doing something else in the show or movie, instead of making love to someone they don't know very well.

Remember the good old days when modesty was important? Now, nobody cares what they look like, even if they are just wearing two scraps of fabic.

Back when Rock and Roll came into being, the singers could actually sing, and they didn't need to wear crazy costumes and wear a pound of makeup to attract attention. Today, singers, or rather screamers, do all that and more, and most of them just look terrible!

Many people I know won't even think of watching a classic movie, TV show, or listen to music from the fifties, it's just too "uncool" and they don't want to be caught like that. We should appreciate what our past was like, and try to replicate it, if at least in the entertainment world. I'm sure it will be for the best.

I think that this article should explain itself. When a group of us were working on our science fair projects at school, I brought some of my CDs to listen to. I have a bunch of CDs from the fifties and sixties, and that is what I brought. I put them in the CD player, and right away a bunch of kids started complaining. That was what got me thinking to what everyone is used to now, and how much times have changed.

Thank you, and I do the same thing! I just keep listening and listening to the same music, and I never get bored of it!

TheJust ELITE said...
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

I like a lot of music today and a lot of movies/tv shows, but nothing can beat/replace the classics! I haven't found that many songs from this decade that I put on repeat and never take off, but fifties/sixties music, you don't have a choice but to listen to the same song hour after hour! Great article!!

I went to Prom a few days ago, and they were playing modern music. I really didn't like it, so I requested Dean Martin! 

Gwenthegreat BRONZE, Fairfield, Connecticut

"Live like you will die tomorrow, and dream like you will live forever."

I mostly watch really old shows too like Gilligan's Island. I agree, I don't like most new shows and music from today.

I'm glad there are other people out there who agree with me! Most people I know don't!

xxTokyoXX BRONZE, Buis Creek, North Carolina

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”-Edgar Allan Poe
"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought and the thought has found words."- Robert Frost
“The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.”-Dante Alighiere
“I do not like the man who squanders life for fame; give me the man who’s living makes a name.”-Emily Dickinson

I love leave it to beaver.I hate the fact that tv is like it is now!

That's awesome! I love Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters!

VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
im 13 and i listen to the 40's radio station, i love it

People just don't understand what our society has become, and how great it used to be!

Alpha-Lyrae GOLD, Toronto, ON, Other

"I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." -Galileo Galilei
"In the Beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

AGREED!!!!!! Fully and completely!