The Censorship of Music: Silencing the World | Teen Ink

The Censorship of Music: Silencing the World

By ahashakesg BRONZE, Miramar Beach, Florida
ahashakesg BRONZE, Miramar Beach, Florida

Who decides what media is offensive, inoffensive, moral, or immoral? Is it a group of middle-aged executives in an MTV boardroom? Or is it the audience at which such media is aimed at? Not surprisingly, the latter, and more logical choice, is shut-out in favor of the one decided by people with power.

Every day, in countries all across the civilized world, we – the youth – are bombarded with images and sounds that attempt to tell us who to be, what to wear, what to say, what to buy, and what to feel. Many critics are quick to lash out at the media for instilling such values in today’s youth. They fail to see, however, the tendency for youth to avoid such tactics. Instead, they label us as naive sheep that are simply following the rest of the herd. Most of today’s educated youth are able to decipher between well-intentioned media, and the not so well-intentioned media. The things we see, hear, and buy have become so saturated in everyday society, that we have become desensitized to their messages. This allows each individual to make their own choices, rather than being force-fed their opinions via the media. However, it is the part of this media deemed as offensive by certain people that leads to censorship of the whole field, thus resulting in the confiscation of our ability to choose.

Violent or sexual images on television, and in the news, do not create a society of promiscuous, violent sociopaths. They do, however, allow us to see what is truly wrong with society today. Lady Gaga, Lil Wayne and Kanye West are NOT the enemy. The media is NOT the enemy. Perhaps we have forgotten who the real enemy is. We create what we are, not the other way around.

Censorship is no better for society than that which is being censored. Censorship only allows us to experience a watered-down version of reality, as opposed to experiencing both versions, and choosing which one we prefer. In most cases, censorship takes away our freedom to choose, which in turn, affects our opinions and thoughts. Why is Lil Wayne censored for blatant opinions, when someone like Britney Spears; who is just as accountable for presenting subtle undertones; is allowed to continue on uncensored?

I am in no way forced to listen to my music, or watch my television shows, so I shouldn’t be forced to listen to, or watch, watered-down, politically correct versions, which give me no opportunity to choose which one I prefer.

The issue of censorship in entertainment will continue as long as there are artists that push the boundaries of good taste and/or artists that speak their minds. These artists should not sacrifice their artistic license out of fear of public scrutiny or persecution. If one chooses to censor everything, then they will satisfy the part of society that is pro-family, pro-religion, and pro-conformity. Allow people to choose what they watch, see, and hear, and you will satisfy everyone else.

More responsibility should be put on the shoulders of parents, rather than upon those who are simply creating what they have every right to create. Parents should instill in their children whatever values they deem fit, and when their child chooses to listen to Lil Wayne rather than an unoriginal, sappy boy-band, accept their choice. After all, it is THEIR choice. The wrong course of action is to tell the child what they CAN’T listen to, in turn, making them rebel simply for rebellion’s sake.

Censorship merely sweeps the immoral dust under the politically correct carpet of society. Lack of choice equals lack of freedom.

In the words of the late, great, Bob Marley, "The good this about music is, once it hits you, you feel no pain."

ry64 said...
Dude, your article is extremely well written. I'm including it as a source for an argumentative essay for English. (:

Hiersche said...
Thanks for this article! It has been a great resource to write three separate papers on assumptions, falllacies, and lacking evidence. 

numbernine said...
But if parents raised their child to know people like lil' Wayne are disgusting and worms, then they shouldn't ever be found listening to him. And as long as you live under your parents roof, it's their rules. Get used to it!

Triss GOLD said...
Triss GOLD, Delaware, Ohio

"School is practice for the future, practice makes perfect, but nobody is perfect. So why practice?"
"You can murder a murderer, but you can never murder murder itself."
"Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain

Completly agree with you, and very well spoken :)