"The Day the Music Died" | Teen Ink

"The Day the Music Died"

By evelynibarra BRONZE, Roswell, New Mexico
evelynibarra BRONZE, Roswell, New Mexico

"Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder"

Hip-Hop, Rap, R&B, and Pop, all types of music, are amazing beats and catchy tunes, but what lies underneath all of the repeating rhythms and mainstream glamour?

Lyrics are the extensial component of songs. They tell a story; they allow the listener to feel and to think what the song recites. This is the way it used to be! Now, lyrics are legends, ghosts of what was once real music.

Have you listened to the words of your favorite song, to the words of the most played song on your favorite radio station? If you have, you will find that most of these songs are offensive and not appropriate.

Many of today’s songs are filled with meaningless lyrics. They are bursting with demeaning slurs and profanity. No longer is music used to express, but to insult and humiliate others. What is more shocking is that most of today’s youth enjoy these songs. It seems like the more insults and vulgar words that a song has, the more it sells.

If you look back in history, you will find that music wasn’t always this way. Music was an escape; it was used to help people forget their worries. Take the Beattle’s for example; their songs helped people escape the terrors of the Vietnam War. When you heard their songs, you escaped the world’s troubles, momentarily.

Now, flash forward to today! What are we providing for the future other than foul language and meaningless rhythms? Profanity is what this time in history will mean, lyrically, of course.

All I ask for is songs with real lyrics, lyrics that touch the soul and that make your senses vibrate, and songs that aren’t written to demean anyone, but to inform the world. I also yearn for artists, whose only concern is not their ability to sell their music, but artists who care about their music, the real music that lies behind the hypnotic beats.

For every song that uses demeaning language let there be people, who turn off the radio. For every record sold, which echoes meaningless music, let there be people who won’t be engulfed, controlled, or fooled by the song’s popularity. For every song that actually tells a story with beautiful words that speak to the soul, let there be people who listen. In other words, let there be meaning behind the lyrics and let us listen to the songs!

This is my way of informing the world, to let them know that this can make a difference by speaking up, even if it is about something like music.

Lalalovable SILVER, Antioch, California
I know what u mean... Music artist are kids role models and I've been offended many times by demeaning words that people use in high school

amazingkp. BRONZE, Lemars, Iowa
I totally agree!! Now days music lyrics are offensive and just bad. I think there should be more meaning full song lyrics. Not what most of the songs are today. Or maybe people should just start listening to a different type of music. Don't forget to check out some of my work. And feel free to comment too. I love your writing. I really hope you keep writing. Good job!!

Falcore BRONZE said...
Falcore BRONZE, Davidsonville, Maryland

"its goblin spelled backwards"

I absolutely agree with everything you said, I can't seem to convince anybody i know that the music you described is utter garbage, I look forward to the day musicians start writing music again.