No One Gets It like a Soap Opera Fan | Teen Ink

No One Gets It like a Soap Opera Fan

By Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts
Palrice8 PLATINUM, Lynn, Massachusetts

"Face the downs and be grateful for the ups." - David Archuleta

As we say goodbye to All My Children, approach the end of One Life To Live and hope that the few remaining soaps are safe, I feel this must be said.

I’ll be honest, I was never a fan of All My Children, but watching that final episode, seeing a cast that I barely know say goodbye (of course with a twist at the end), was saddening. Saddening to see that AMC, one of the most popular soap operas, was the first to go and saddening to think that, though this wasn’t my favorite soap, it was for tons of other people. Whether you’ve been watching for a month, a year, a decade, or even just watching it for the first time today, seeing the show end it’s run on television was a touching and sad ordeal.

Being a General Hospital fan for over three years, as well as a Days of our Lives watcher and a new One Life To Live fan, it’s clear to me where each soap stands. With OLTL coming to an end and seeing one of the most popular soaps end, we can only hope that GH, the longest running soap, still has a chance. General Hospital has become a pattern in my family throughout the generations. It started with my aunt, then lead to my mom watching it, then my cousin and now me. Four strong generations of General Hospital watchers in my family, and I don’t want to see it end now. But we’re not the only people who have experienced this and are such strong supporters and watchers of a soap, and knowing that ended for a lot of All My Children fans is sincerely saddening.

It annoys me how little people think of soap operas. I’ve seen a lot of people make fun of them and make fun of their viewers, but they just don’t get it. They don’t understand what it’s like being a soap opera fan, being practically addicted to the show as it takes you on dramatic journeys in the characters that you grow to know and love’s lives. As unreal as some of the stories may seem, it’s all part of the fun. People make fun of soaps for being so dramatic and unrealistic, but that’s what a soap opera is. No one understands how much a soap opera could do for you. To outsiders it may seem like an addiction, but to the true soap opera fans, we know how much more it is than that. It may have started out just being a show you enjoy watching, but I’m sure it’s turned into so much more. Soaps draw you in and captivate you, bringing you into a completely different world for an hour, whether it’s to Port Charles, Llanview or Pine Valley. They add a touch of impractical drama to your life, and sometimes even provide a much needed escape from your own hecticness going on. Soap operas are a tradition and a necessity, and it’s quite distressing seeing them come to an end on television.

Great article! Amazingly written :)