Television Censorship is Unnecessary | Teen Ink

Television Censorship is Unnecessary

January 8, 2016
By Mellon2244 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Mellon2244 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“What the bleeeeep! You bleeeeep!” In my mind, confusion struck me like a lightning bolt. Every time I watch shows with explicit language I've become irritated at the fact that they (the government) censor out words that are used every day! It's very unnecessary to bleep out words, vocabulary that come out of your mouth and my mouth every day, all the time on television. We're all human and we should be able to accept the adult language. Televised censorship is unnecessary due to the fact that it is heard in everyday life, they're just words, and it takes our freedom,so why take hide these simple, casual words?


With technology today, we can easily access everything with the click of a button(American spectator). With this advantage we can watch anything provided by the government. “Censorship takes away freedom” (“Should There Be Censorship in TV?”). The disadvantage is that the government limits to only a few enjoyable channels We aren't given enough freedom to watch entertaining things on television because the government is very skeptical when it comes entertaining its citizens especially when most are sensitive.


“Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”-G.F. Northall. Too many people get offended over the simplest words.”This history of swearing on tv is obscenely fun.”(“Tv Censorship”)Some people find it humorous but as society gets worse and complicated every day at learns to be more sensitive and gullible as time keeps ticking. People read too much into simple phrases that and that's what makes it a huge deal. Especially when people bring it to everyone's attention,everyone should just let loose and allow it to happen.


Television censorship is taking away our freedom of speech little by little. “Many people think that it is a basic right of human to reveal their ideas”(apecsecadmin) America is all about its freedom and part of being free consist of the main thing that we as a country fought for, freedom of speech, so why take that away? “If information can be manipulated you never know what's truly accurate are happening in the world”(“11 Biggest Pros and Cons of Censorship | FutureofWorking.com”)We will never know the truth if censorship takes over the whole television land
The world consist of many sensitive people so when they hear some of these words or see these actions, they often take offense to it. Not all shows are meant for every audience that owns a television so when the wrong audience witnesses something not meant for them things may get confusing and hectic. Although this may true, the viewer discretion warning airs before the actual tv show.Overall, Some shows are aimed towards specific audiences than others.


Television censorship is unnecessary because it takes away the purpose of freedom of speech, even though it warns you ahead of time people still decide to watch it and complain and they’re just simple words.

 


     Work Cited
“11 Biggest Pros and Cons of Censorship | FutureofWorking.com.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
apecsecadmin. “Pros and Cons of Censorship | APECSEC.org.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Should There Be Censorship in TV?” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.
“Tv Censorship.” N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Jan. 2016.