American Idiot | Teen Ink

American Idiot

January 17, 2017
By NightBulb SILVER, Sudbury, Ontario
NightBulb SILVER, Sudbury, Ontario
7 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a blank canvas: it's up to you to paint the picture.


Adolescence arrives in between the notes of a good song. When I was thirteen, I heard a Green Day track for the first time on the radio. The station was playing “Boulevard of Broken Dreams,” and if love at first sight, or in this case at first listen, exists, I’d like to believe that was the case. The moment I heard the track, I instantly became hooked to the sounds of this rock band’s churning power chords and pounding drum and bass line. Having grown up in a household that mainly basked in classical and pop music, I welcomed this change with open arms, taking in the rage-filled lyrics and powerful melodies like oxygen, an energy drink for my brain addled with the confusion of early teenager-hood. The entrance of the rock genre into my life came with a newfound realization about the role music could play in a society, and just how inherently political a song could be.

Despite having played classical piano for years and enjoying it, this genre of music as listening material had never really been my calling. In middle school, I explored, listening to what was on the radio, picking out what I enjoyed. Love songs, love songs, party songs, more love songs. The lyrics were different from one pop hit to the next, but the messages remained the same. I didn’t question it, thinking that most of the time, a few “baby’s” and “love me’s” and “let’s get drunk’s” were all it took to create a wholesome song. I didn’t nitpick to find any deeper meanings, even in songs that may have contained them, because to my twelve-year old self, if the music was catchy enough, if the lyrics were easy to remember, I liked the song. To me, the sole purpose of most music was to please the ear, and not to incite any further thought. However, when I encountered Green Day’s music, my point of view shifted drastically. Here was a band that made me realize that underneath the lyrics of a song could lie a veiled meaning, a message addressed to society, wrapped in chord progressions and stamped with a firm and assertive beat.

After hearing “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” on the radio, the most logical next step to take was to listen to the rest of Green Day’s American Idiot album, which I did with fervor. As I listened, I gradually peeled off the layers that Green Day had built upon their music, discovering an amazingly powerful critique of the American politics of the 2000s at its core. Through their title song, “American Idiot,” the band had constructed a scathing and strongly opinionated review of the American media and its role in influencing the thoughts of the population, outlining the problems with a nation ruled by fear rather than reason. Behind the outward lyrics about a young man running from the suburbs to the big city, the songs throughout the album evoke the frustration and disillusionment of the American youth towards the George W. Bush era and the Iraq War. Put together, they form an unwavering story narrated by the lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong, who projects his political viewpoints onto the listeners with ferocity and charisma. To me, Green Day is not amazing because of their melodic originality, but because of their ability to put to music the deepest psychological struggles of a young generation surrounded by politically-fueled frenzy and the various trials of just-out-of-adolescence adulthood.

The American Idiot album was the start of Green Day’s shift to political themes in their music. No, not everyone will agree with their messages, and their views tend to be far on the liberal side of the spectrum, but this band, with its simple lineup of guitarist, bassist and drummer, proved to me that music can truly have much more meaning than what first meets the ear. Their lyrics, like poetry, are ones that constantly make me think and reflect on my surroundings, making me question rather than simply accept, discuss topics and figure out my stance. I am too young to remember much of the Bush years, but the engaging words of Green Day’s music have helped me find ties from the past to the world we live in today. I learned from them that the words of a well-known song have the power to incite a revolution in the minds of the listeners, and can be no less inspiring than a speech made by a respected political figure. Until Green Day, I didn’t realize that music today could have this immense power to move and ignite a fire in people, the same fire that brought an African-American to the Oval Office, the same fire that enabled a woman to rise and become the first female presidential candidate for a major party in United States history.

From the steady rhythm of rap and hip hop to the gritty voices of punk, music can sometimes carry more than just a melody. Green Day allowed me to discover this, and being on the lookout for political themes in songs has opened up my mind to various social issues such as those of racial or gender inequality. I now listen closer to lyrics than ever before: Macklemore and Ryan Lewis’s “Same Love,” exploring the ever-present problems of homophobia in our society; Rise Against’s “Prayer of the Refugee,” pursuing the story of a refugee and the terrible emotions that come with being forced to leave one’s own country without help.

This is not to say that I do not enjoy the hot, trendy love songs and painful heartbreak anthems of today’s radio, fixtures of our modern culture. I will sing and dance along to the catchy melodies and artfully repetitive lyrics as hard as the next person. But to me, Green Day’s American Idiot album is always a welcome step away from the flashy clichés of so many pop hits, a door to a deeper level of musical and social understanding.