Why Is Dystopian Literature Rising in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Rising in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By cbarnhart44 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
cbarnhart44 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The popularity of dystopian literature has increased rapidly over the years. Dystopian communities appear perfect, but unlike a Utopia, problems lay deep within. An example of a Dystopian film is Wall-E , a popular movie where he society seems to function flawlessly, but you see that everyone is severely overweight, and relies on hovering wheelchairs to get from place to place.

The first reason dystopian literature has become popular recently is because of the production and promotion of Dystopian films such as Wall-e and Divergent. Dystopian literature has also become more popular with the releases of series like The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner. People become hooked on these books, and when they are made into movies, people go crazy over them.

The second reason I think dystopian literature has become more popular recently is because of teenagers. A lot of dystopian films, books, and short stories feature teenagers or kids as main characters. For example, Harrison bergeron features kids learning more about their mental handicaps,  “Some things about living still weren't quite right, though. April for instance, still drove people crazy by not being springtime. And it was in that clammy month that the H-G men took George and Hazel Bergeron’s fourteen year-old son, Harrison, away”. This quote shows that the story features a fourteen year-old boy. Throughout the story we learn that the government places mental handicaps on people with extraordinary minds. As a teenager I can personally say this story peaked my interest because the main character is only a year younger than me. The story had me thinking, what If I had to live in a world like that?

The next reason is because of its mysterious aspect. In The Veldt, there was a huge sense of mystery regarding the nursery. “You know how difficult Peter is about that. When I punished him a month ago by locking it for even a few hours – the way he lost his temper! And Wendy too. They live for the nursery”. This part of the story leaves the audience wondering, what's so fascinating about the nursery? A lot of dystopian literature has mystery and crime.

The last reason dystopian literature is becoming more popular is because of its societal aspects. In ten with flag, we see a type of government that we don’t hear about too much.  A government where everything in your life depends on your future benefits to society. The couples son is marked “Ten with a flag” meaning that his future is very bright and he will do great things for society. Before the baby was even born, he helped the community. The aspect of having a rating of your future potential determine what job you have and how much money you’re able to make is fun to read about. Just the fact that they are able to tell your future potential in the first place is fascinating.

In conclusion,  I think dystopian literature has experienced a rise in popularity because of its relation to teenagers, its complex array of themes and genres, and its governmental range. Dystopian literature is fun to read when you want to step into another world and learn more about what it would be like to live in a society different from our own.