Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By itieri12 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
itieri12 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Dystopian literature is very entertaining to read, it helps readers escape reality and hear about things that could always be in the future. It is so interesting to hear about this, dystopian literature has be extremely popular lately why? Well let’s go find out…..

A world where everything is right, where nothing bad happens, and where everything goes as planned... what is that called? A perfect world. In the short story called Harrison Bergeron his world is supposed to be perfect but it is far from that. The government in this book is very strict the citizens are very limited on what they get to know, for example George has a handicap that makes his thought process average even though he is a smart person but is not allowed to have that information. All citizens have to carry around what is called a handicap and If they take their handicaps off they will be fined 2000 and 2 years in prison for each ball.

In the next story called The Veldt they have an amazing setting that takes place in the future but sometimes that’s not always a good thing. In this short story This couple with two kids buys a happy life house, this is a house where technology does everything for you. When I say everything I mean it, they brush your teeth, dress you, wash you, and anything else you do the house does it for you. In this story it says “His wife was standing in the middle of the kitchen watching the stove busy humming to itself, making supper for four” that quote is showing my point about the house doing jobs that they should be doing themselves. In this house they have a nursery for their children to play, in this nursery there is a mind reading device that puts what you are thinking on the wall. This nursery begins to be dangerous as it shows and african plain with lions on it, the husband ends up shutting off the house because it is to dangerous. In the story he says this “”Lydia, its off, and it stays off. And the whole damn house dies as of here and now. The more I see the mess we’ve put ourselves in, the more it sickens me. We’ve been thinking of our machine assisted selves for too long. My god, how we need a breath of honest hair!” this is showing that the nursery is dangerous.

It is fun to read, to escape reality for a couple of hours. The story Ten with a flag really helps you escape reality. In this story technology plays a key role in most things, one is the car that drives them places without them even doing anything. Having cars that drive themselves makes you escape reality and imagine what it would be like with that. For example there is a traffic computer to control traffic in the dystopia. In one paragraph Jonnie rented a older car that isn't being monitored my central (government) so that he can talk in private, citizens are perceived to be under constant The government in this story is very controlling as you can see, and  they have a system that predicts how your child is going to turn out called the flag.

In conclusion sometimes it is fun to read stories like these three, to escape reality and just see how cool the future really is. Although as you can see it doesn’t always end up in good things, there is always positives and negatives in technology and I think we just heard lots. So to end this dystopian literature is fun to read and people like to escape and I believe that is the reason it is becoming so popular.