Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By dblankenship00 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
dblankenship00 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why do teens nowadays like to read dystopian literature so much? Is it because of how destructive they can be? Or maybe they are brought into the story because of how much they can relate to the character within the story, trying to break free from the bonds that force them down.

One possible reason teens may enjoy dystopian literature is because they can relate to the protagonist of the story. For example, in “Harrison Bergeron” the protagonist specifically went against what the government thought was the way people were supposed to be in a society, simply average. The protagonist does this by ripping off any and all of the handicaps that was assigned to him, which consist of mental handicaps, bags full of bidshot, and spectacles that hinder people’s vision. Readers may like this protagonist because of the fact that he takes all the anger that he has and uses it to fight back for what is right.

In “Ten With a Flag”, the society uses an incredible form of technology to make people's lives much easier on them. However it doesn’t always work out the way they want it to go. For example, a group called Central has gained the ability to read into what an unborn child will be able to do for his/her community. They do this by looking into the parents cellular past and determine how much good the parents have done and combine it with the child’s future. This ties in with my thesis because of the fact that it is based on a highly advanced civilization that has technology beyond our wildest imagination.

Another story that we read was called “The Veldt”. “The Veldt” is an interesting story because it is in a time where people could buy houses that do almost everything for them, including cooking, cleaning, and even tying shoes. However, the most impressive feat of technology would be the nursery, which is a room that is made specifically for children to let their imagination go wild and create whatever they would want right in front of them. This also ties in with the fact that people like technologically advanced stories because the people within the story have become so advanced that they can live a life that only requires you to smell, see, and eat.

In the end, the technology that these dystopian civilizations contain interest me to certain degree. How long would it take for us to be able to have technology as advanced as them? Maybe it’ll be sooner than we think, the main point is that technology can both benefit us, as well as destroy us.