Why is Dystopian Literature Rising in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why is Dystopian Literature Rising in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By nwatkins19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
nwatkins19 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever woke up and were glad you didn’t have handcuffs on your arms, and very possibly metal balls that weigh you down? In “Harrison Bergeron,” he woke up everyday wondering when his life in his dystopian prison of a world would end. He wanted to be freed, so he broke out of his chains, possibly knowing what would happen, but he didn’t care. He then got shot in agony from trying to be free. Dystopian literature is widely arranged around a group of superior voices against voices whom aren't so superior anymore. For example, the government and power elite taking over against the citizens, no matter if they are high or low classed. At this point, though, no one will be high or low classes simply because everyone is completely equal. No one is better than anyone, no one is smarter, no one is stronger, and no one is better looking. Though, when thinking about the logic of it all, the governors in a dystopia are breaking their rule that no one is different or better than the other, because they are already better than the other. I feel as though a dystopian society is wrongful because it breaks trust in society and may release anger from those held captive in the society. Therefore, in a true dystopia, there would be no leaders.


A dystopia is like raising sheep and cattle; we as the citizens are the cattle and sheep, and the government and power are the herding dogs. In a dystopia, they can boss us around freely as if we are their property. They are the queens and we are the worker ants, fighting for their food supply, their homes, their happiness. The reason they do this is for power, though, they are the protagonists and scare them to keep their handicaps on. This is another reason why They are Herding us. They scare us by nipping at our ankles in order to get us to follow their rules. Two thousand dollars and a couple years in prison per ball. This is only to scare people from taking handicaps out.


Discussing the problem is usually not the first part in a story, though in Dystopian Literature, it often is. This is because we know automatically that the government is the problem and the citizens are the victims. They are trapped on the Earth not knowing what the Earth is. Every second they take a breath and think, they get washed away from agony and thoughtlessness when they look up and see they are being watched. The privacy these people get is also ridiculous because they can’t do anything in peace, just like in ten with a flag.