Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By mwilk40 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
mwilk40 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine being in your dream world. You didn’t have to cook or clean or even take your own shower. A car controlled where you went and you didn’t have to drive anywhere. The government made things easy for you. Your ideal life and world came true. It would seem so perfect. You would feel free and you would be happy. You could almost live life just the way you wanted. Would it really be perfect?  

Most people think that computers and phone will solve all our problems.What if everything was controlled by one computer? In the story Ten with a Flag a computer called Central had control of everything. In the story they state that “Central has control.” many times. In the story they explain that central drives them to and from places. “ We rushed along at speeds of over two hundred kilometers with no more than a meter separating our vehicles, our safety in control of central traffic computer.” In the story they explain that in this world computers and technology is what they trust in. They are letting a computer drive them. What if computers made everyone equal?

We may think that if everyone was equal it would make life easier and a lot better. We wouldn’t have hate or we wouldn’t fight. In Harrison Bergeron they show a world where everyone was equal. Computers play a part in this short story when they use earpieces to make the smarter people not think.“It was such a doozy that George was white and trembling, and tears stood on the rims of his red eyes. Two of of the eight ballerinas had collapsed to the studio floor, were holding their temples.” They use handicaps to make everyone equal. People began to believe it, "If I tried to get away with it," said George, "then other people would get away with it-and pretty soon we'd be right back to the dark ages again, with everybody competing against everybody else. You wouldn't like that, would you?" Some people didn’t believe in the handicaps and everyone being equal. Most story’s have someone like that.

In a perfect world we would trust the government and technology and we wouldn’t have people question anything. In The Veldt the father starts to question the technology and the way it started to make his children think. The house was almost completely a computer which made things easy at first but as the children started to have rules things changed. “This house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach was sensed by a hidden switch and the nursery light turned on when they came within ten feet of it.” George was concerned about the kids mental state knowing that computers did everything for them. He became upset with where he was living and wanted to change things. In other words he didn’t like his perfect world anymore.

Overall all of the story show that maybe a perfect world isn’t perfect at all. We want to badly to have someone or something else to do something for us that when things go wrong we get upset about it and tend to rebel against it. We think there would be good in letting a computer control ours lives but that's the thing it controls our lives... our whole lives. After reading all of these stories it made me think maybe we should really think about the bad things that would happen in all that “good” we want.