Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

I think Dystopian literature is an uprising popularity because it really entertains and grasps the reader and make them have a better understanding of the characteristics in a Dystopian society. A dystopian society is an imaginative place or state where everything is unpleasing and bad. To follow up on why I think my thesis is correct I will give you 3 examples of why it is becoming so popular in text. My first example is from “Harrison Bergeron”. “

Handicaps came about due to 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments to the constitution so everyone can be equal.” This would be a great example for Bureaucratic Control. Bureaucratic Control is when society is controlled by a mindless bureaucracy through a tangle of red tape, relentless regulations, and incompetent government officials.

My second point is from “Ten With A Flag”. “Great.” “There was nothing else to do but sit back and enjoy the ride. We are just passengers.” Once again the car is in full control. This is an example of Technological control because the car has a mind of its own. This entertains the reader because there aren't a lot of cars or any that have a mind of their own. My last point is from “The Veldt”.

“Can I give a bath and clean the children as efficiently or quickly as the automatic body wash can?” Propaganda is used to control the citizens of society. This just shows how propaganda is used because there are so many automatic things in the house it kind of controls them what to do in a way.

So in conclusion, dystopian stories can really grasp the reader because it is completely different from our world today. I made three points from dystopian stories that can explain what elements there are and how they could differ from the outside world. Some of the things in a dystopian story can relate to the outside world. It is cool and really interesting to learn and read new things.

So you ask “Why is dystopian literature experiencing such a rise in popularity today?” well here you have it.