Dystopias Aren’t What You Think They Are! | Teen Ink

Dystopias Aren’t What You Think They Are!

By gporter33 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
gporter33 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

Do you want to feel equal with everybody or be able to live the “perfect” life?  Well that’s what dystopias are all about! Well at least they’re supposed to be. I personally think dystopias are a great idea but there is not enough freedom. But that’s not what we’re worrying about, we’re going to talk about the Dystopia books and movies and how they are rapidly raising up on the charts.

One of the biggest reasons I think the Dystopian series are rising up like crazy is because of how futuristic they are. But that can also lead to a bad thing.  “I just wanted to talk to you without a speaker” This is a quote from the short story, Ten With A Flag.  The reason I think this is a great example of is because that speaker they are talking about was in the car and you talk to the speaker and the central control system actually takes you where your destination is without even touching the wheel. But the bad part is that the control system is listening to you at all times so you can’t have a private conversation.

People also love the view of a “perfect world”. “A buzzer sounded in George's head. His thoughts fled in panic, like bandits from a burglar alarm” That is from the book Harrison Bergeron this shows that people can’t be smarter than other people making everyone equal therefore making it a perfect world. This is a great example because if people can’t even be smarter than no one can feel not as smart. But to me I think people need to be smarter so the world can keep on advancing.

One thing that I don’t like is bureaucratic control. What I don’t like about this is that you are being controlled at all times not making it a perfect world. All the handicaps, their forced to wear all the regulations. This means they can’t do  what they want to help themselves feel better.

These are what I think of dystopias and how I think they should be. If they really want to be perfect, they should make less restrictions and not have everyone the EXACT same.