Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By arolniak27 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
arolniak27 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have you ever been in a perfect world that wasn’t perfect? Dystopian stories are based on futuristic settings. They are usually made up for the future. In these stories the towns or cities are based off of a perfect environment. The author's purpose in the particular setting is suppose to make you visualize what the years to come display. These dystopian stories are based off of futuristic settings and bad situations. It takes you to not being able to be normal to ranking your ability.

This first story "10 With a Flag" is about “citizens living in a dehumanized state”. Their cars connect to central, there are no accidents because central controls them. This is a perfect example to our main point because the cars are controlled by the government. The people don’t drive them, they’re driven themselves. The accidents are minor in the community. Mainly there aren’t any accidents because the central supervises the automobiles. Our second reasoning is ranking the babies based on their future. This is also a perfect example of citizens live in a dehumanized state because the fact that they are able to determine newborns visibility. The government ranks the kids once born.

In our second story “Harrison Bergeron” there is a topic that stands out to me which is “Individuality and dissent are bad”. Everyone had to be equal. It was the year of 2082 and they had the 211th, 212th, and 213th amendments. The equality was due to those amendments. No one was smarter than anyone else. Nobody was better looking than anyone else. Our second reasoning for the topic was handicaps. The people who had higher intelligence levels were demanded to wear  handicap ear radios. George knew more, so therefore he had to wear one. About every 20 seconds or so, the transmitter would send out a sharp noise to keep people like George from taking unfair advantages of their own brains.

Our last story "The Veldt" concludes to a “Futuristic Setting”. This topic takes place in the nursery. The kids are able to imagine what they want and it changes into that type of setting. The nursery was a room for the kids emotions to flee. The room would provide visited places of information for the older people who were more curious about the young ones mind. Our last second reasoning was a perfect life. The parents use technology to spoil their kids. The house basically took over the parents jobs as mother and father. The household just started doing things for them and the kids. The house transport you around the house, brush your teeth, cooks the food and even cleans up the house itself.

The dystopian stories listed above are based off of  futuristic setting as you can see. These dystopian literatures have been acclaiming to today’s society. The dystopian literature is very innovative and alluring. These types of situations could possibly occur. Dystopian communities are very different from our world today and it makes a huge contrast on it.