Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

By ekats40 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
ekats40 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

(Why is dystopian literature experiencing such a rise in popularity today?)

Dystopian literature sales to teens has jumped 150% so why is dystopian literature so interesting for people to read? Dystopian literature shows a place with the citizens that try to make a perfect world but turns to a place where no one wants to be. Dystopian literature shows a place where the people are treated poorly and the government overruns the world making life horrible. Dystopian literature has seen a rise in popularity because the world is not perfect, people like to rebel against the government, and it allows the reader to escape kown reality.

Many people want a perfect world where nothing goes wrong and everyone is living in peace. This is what they want to show in the story Harrison Bergeron but when everybody is equal to each other they must wear handicaps. This is why I think the world is not perfect.  They must wear handicaps in the story so everyone is equal, like if you are smart and some one is not you will have to wear ear piece and every 20 seconds a buzzing noise shoot in your head scrambling your thought . They were burdened with sashweights and bags of birdshot  and their faces were masked. Harrison Bergeron show how the world not perfect because of how they treat people and nobody should be treated like they are criminal. It also show it because the government makes them where things o n the body that they should need. Handicapper general came into the studio  with a double barreled ten-gauge shotgun she fired twice and the emperor and empress were dead.This story show that World's not perfect by shooting two people just shows how twisted the world is.It also show that the  World's not perfect by just not reasoning with the emperor and just shoots him.

Many teens today like to go against their parents wishes and become a rebel and wants nothing to do with their parents. This is what they want to show in the story Ten with a Flag and how the main character want be a rebel and not what to listen to central. Nodding towards the speaker panel on the dashboard. They do this to show that central is in control and do not want central listing to there ervey world . Ten with a flag shows Rebellions because central controls  the world and heards every that why she nodded towards the speaker panel. You didn’t answer my question said johnnie said. What happens if we take the flag option. They did this to show that Johnnie is rebelling central and want to chose on is own terms.

People today what to escape their known reality and go to the world of virtual reality. In the Veldt there are two kids named Peter and Wendy and they want to escape their known reality and make a new reality.Soon an African veldt appeared, in three dimensions, on all sides, in color. It looked real to the smallest stone and bit of yellow summer grass. The ceiling above them became a deep sky with a hot yellow sun.  Their environment in a room is controlled by some type of technology.This shows how the story Allows reader to escape known reality because of this room it uses the child's mind to take them to a new world. It also show that it allows reader to escape known reality because people look for a new way escape reality. One of the original uses of these rooms was so that we could study the patterns left on the walls by the child’s mind. The story show why it  Allows reader to escape known reality due to how the room works and how it shows the thoughts if the kids.

Therefore, dystopian literature is an interesting topic that shows how the world is not perfect. Dystopian literature shows how the reader can escape kown reality. Dystopian literature can also show how the citizens can against the government. Dystopian literature is a type of literature enjoyed by many readers and is  currently on the rise and I think teen and adult alike should started reading these stories to understand what the stories mean.