The Rise of Dystopian Literature | Teen Ink

The Rise of Dystopian Literature

By tkats46 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
tkats46 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana

How do you think Dystopian literature is making a rise in society today?  Dystopian literature has slowly become more and more popular in today's society. If you’re not familiar with dystopian literature, dystopian literature is a genre which a place believes they’re perfect even though it’s a bad place to be. There are multiple dystopian novels out in the world created for all types of viewers.

Dystopian literature is become one of the most popular book genres to read. The reason some young adults like to read these books are because they’re written in a perspective of a teen. ”The rising popularity of dystopian literature among adolescent audiences is prominent in today’s pop culture due to its relevance in young adult’s lives” ”(“The Rising Popularity of Dystopian Literature”). Teens can relate to this because it helps them understand and relate to the world’s problems today.  As a teen I agree and relate to this reasoning. “Teen readers escapes our reality to venture into the dystopian world”. (“The Rising Popularity of Dystopian Literature”). We teens are constantly trying to figure out who we are ,and what the world means to us. In the story Harrison Bergeron, Harrison states “Now watch me become what I can become ! " (Vonnegut). In this quote Harrison isn’t afraid to be himself. In the story the citizens have handicaps to prevent someone being different from the other.  Harrison is only 14 years old.

The second reason readers enjoy dystopian literature it is encouraging to them. People read dystopian novels and would like to become their own courageous person.   ”Millions of adolescents want to be like them with their heroic courage.” (“The Rising Popularity of Dystopian Literature”). In dystopian literature a person or a group of people will rise above them. In Ready Player One, The Giver and Divergent  the main character has the courage to stand up to their enemies.  A quote from Artifice states, “ America today allows teenagers to believe that they can make a difference.”(“The Rising Popularity of Dystopian Literature”). This quote shows that young teens would like to make a difference.  After reading a dystopian story they would like to help the world. Their friends could read the same novel to feel the same way and so there would be a spread of dystopian literature. Dystopian literature could have and impact in their real lives because it could help people get through hard times. Over time the more people who read the dystopian novels the more the novels are recommended.

The third reason is that the novels let the reader read startling imagery.  Anyone could be startled while reading books. The young readers can be pulled into the novel with the startling events that happen in the novels like in Divergent when Tris goes up to pick her faction and, then changes at the last moment which startled the readers. Now the book has the reader's attention. The readers may like it when one person or a body of people has control over society like technology or the government. In the Hunger Games the government is incontrol forcing people to fight until death. That what makes the novel interesting to the reader and allows the reader to stay in the novel’s world. Readers may have seen the movies to the novels to compare and constant the diffencerances  The readers enjoy the startling novels because as a reader they won’t expect it until it happens. Back to the part of Divergent where no expected Tris to change the faction she was going to pick. No one expected she would do that.  In Haines’ “Ten With a Flag” no one would have guessed that Johnny was going to use the flag. Human Services came in at said this “No one ever said we’d let you go through with it though. The flag is an option not a right, Arrest him” (Haines).  The more the startling the dystopias are the more people read and the more popular they get. The young readers enjoy the startling novels because they would like to see what comes next. “The dystopian novel, on the other hand, readily provides a graphic warning of the consequences of going in a certain social, political or technological direction, and can do so with startling imagery that resonates with the reader” (Ashley). The is quote has give a better understanding of  event that could happen like startling imagery. Novel can have a starling ending which could turn into a cliffhanger, now the reader will have to wait to read the next novel of the series.

Therefore dystopian literature is on the rise in our society from being written in a young adult prespectiver to encourager the readers and startling them. The more readers are engaged with the book the more they are willing to finish it.  Like books that have twists thrills and startling parts to it. Dystopian literature is rising in popular today whether young adult are reading the novel or the adults. As time goes on there will be new and excited dystopian novels to read. No one person can make a dystopian popular but if you have a team of people then you can spread the word to create a rise in dystopian literature.

This piece is about how Dystopian Literature is rising