Open Letter to Kim Kardashian-West | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Kim Kardashian-West

By florefrenay BRONZE, Laren, Other
florefrenay BRONZE, Laren, Other

Dear Kim Kardashian-West,

It is official. You have been honored, no, crowned, with the title of the “most powerful influencer in the world”. There is no denying it: 15 seasons long you have attracted audiences by letting cameras follow you around, you are the owner of a fragrance and a make-up line named KKW, after yourself, of course, 60 million followers on Twitter and 130 million on Instagram. You are the queen of social media queens, you are the person the whole world wants to see. Everyone has an opinion about you, myself included. But what I have found out is very simple: This luxurious, perfect barbie-life you are living and sharing, has a price. The person paying the price is not you, it is us. The vulnerable, insecure, self-doubting women/girls that spend on average 4 hours a day on social media. So, I ask you: Show some normalcy. Open up. And we know, it’s like literally so nerve-wracking. You must have so much anxiety.

During my puberty, I have watched a frivolous app become one of the most powerful platforms on the earth. The act of sharing a snapshot of your life has slowly been embedded in the social media culture of our time. The number of people that are on Instagram in 2018, as seen on their annual report, is 1 billion (Carman, Ashley). That is 1/7thof all the people walking this planet. Take one zero away and it is the number of people following you. You are the official leader of the Instagram pack of wolves. People might argue that because there is another celeb out there with more followers than you, you are not deserving of this title. This is simply not true. When Kim Kardashian-West poses nude in front of her majestically big mirror, people follow. When Kim Kardashian-West decides to post a picture of herself looking at family pictures in just her tiny underwear, people follow. You have shaped, scrubbed and tweaked the image of a ‘role model’ that we pass on to our little girls; you have influenced the self-image of women all over the world.

One of the hardest things to do for a human being is to find your voice, to find your place, in a world that is changing all the time. But, revolutions did not start without the fighters. This showing the willpower people can have when it comes to change. The willpower you can have. When it comes to inequality and acceptance the world has, and still is, evolving. The LGBTQ community is growing rapidly, finally leaving their fingerprint in our society. The glass ceiling, not just for women but for any other gender on the spectrum, is slowly but steadily showing cracks. Even with all this positivity, our world has also shown to become more materialistic. I cannot deny the fact that all I have wanted for my birthday over the last couple of years are iPhones, expensive clothing, jewelry, and make-up. You see, it is not just that we have become more materialistic. We have become obsessed with our image, just like you. The difference? You do it for a living. You earn millions every year, creating this 'picture perfect'. Being plastic-fantastic. The Kardashian effect is real. Suddenly girls of the age of 14, who are midst growth, want curves but abs and decide to follow your diet. Young women wearing 10 layers of mascara because they simply cannot afford your lash extensions. Women trying to improve the image they see in the mirror by shopping for fillers and Botox. KKW, this is not an assassination on your character. This is me trying to show your real influence. Wake up.

The irony in all of this is your most liked Instagram pictures. It is not one of the hundreds of stripped-down, head-tilted mirror selfies you have posted over the years. No, they are family pictures. In all of your most-liked, most-loved I might add, posts your beautiful little children are starring (Bell, Caroline ). Hold up, is normalcy the key to success?

Even though people might think you are more than safe behind those monstrous big gates in the celebrity reserve that is called Calabasas, what you were put through back in 2016 is frightening. The Paris robbery of KKW became a familiar term on the internet, and the effect on your life must have been immense. Going through such an experience in the biggest spotlight there is, being scrutinized for every step you make after such a trauma even though there is no guidebook, and still returning to the big stage takes courage. After what seemed like months of silence within the Instagram community, you went back to work, you went back to being KKW. The healing took time, but your pack got you back. With that, I also want to say that your interest in the Los Angeles homeless shelter and criminal justice reform should not be underrated. People might dismiss these good deeds done by a reality-star, but I think it counts. But Kim, you have to understand: It is hard for people to take you seriously when one day you want to write history by freeing innocent people from jail, whilst the next you like to pose in your underwear on your kitchen counter. You have to make a choice. Choose the right one.

From time to time, we all want to feel empowered, to feel adored. It is clear that since you got famous through a sex tape, you feel like you still need to hold on to this image. But Kim, you are a mother, and without a doubt, a good mother. Show your little girls what it means to be a woman. It means to nurture, to care but also to fight for your voice. It doesn’t mean wearing tiny clothing whilst having 3 layers of makeup on your face. Use your power. Be a true leader. Be a true queen.

With love,

+1 follower

I have always been very aware of the effect social media has had on my life and my self-image. By being aware, I also have the ability to put it all in perspective and therefore control the damage that it can cause for my self-esteem. However, there are many girls in my surroundings who are not aware, who easily follow the shallow values that social media easily brings upon us. I wrote this piece to share my opinion about the matter, hopefully reaching some of the girls who struggle with the power of social media and social media influencers in their daily life.