Minimalism | Teen Ink

Minimalism

January 8, 2023
By Anonymous

In today's materialistic society, people are constantly trying to upgrade. Whether it’s to a better house, job, or career, nothing seems to be good enough, there is always something better. Even with phones, Apple releases a “better” iPhone every year, making the previous one obsolete. We are constantly bombarded with advertisements and society is always teaching people to have their lives revolve around money and material possessions. With the obsession with climbing and upgrading constantly, no one seems to be happy in the present moment with what they have. This is why some people choose to follow the ways of minimalism. Minimalism is a lifestyle where one intentionally lives with only the things really needed and avoids the unnecessary. It’s all about “taking time to focus on the experience of being alive, rather than making compulsive decisions for short-term pleasure.”

Living a minimalist lifestyle helps you focus on better priorities instead of the acquisition of wealth and material possessions. For example, rather than spending time shopping for items, you don’t need in an attempt to fill a void in your life, spend time meditating or with loved ones. Society teaches us to work hard in school, get a good job, earn money, and spend this money to make ourselves happy. The true reality falls short of this idea that money makes you happy. Famous actor, Jim Carrey, once said, “I wish everyone could become rich and famous so that they could realize it’s not the answer”. People in society idolize those with lots of money and fame who seem to have it all, but as Carrey says, “it’s not the answer”. Just think of how you idolize material goods in your own life. I know in my own life I am guilty of buying into the “fast fashion” industry where clothes are bought often for very cheap and hardly worn, as trends change by the time you are caught up to them. This hyper fixation on buying clothes only makes me happy for a temporary amount of time until I get bored and decide I need new clothes. 

Additionally, minimalism is not just about detoxing your life from unnecessary materials but includes cutting out toxic people in your life. Surround yourself with people who bring you joy and lift you up, negativity from others can be detrimental to both mental and physical health so keep positive relationships and cut out those bringing you down. The key is to focus on the things or people that make you happy in life and make time for them while minimizing the time spent on negative aspects of your life. 

Even if you don’t want to get rid of all your materialistic possessions that aren’t necessary, the idea of minimalism is a call to examine our lives and see what is really making us happy. Next time you go to make a purchase, think to yourself, “Is this really necessary? Will this make me happy long term?”.


Bibliography

Becker, Joshua. “What Is Minimalism?” Becoming Minimalist, 14 Nov. 2019, becomingminimalist.com/what-is-minimalism/. 

“What Does It Mean to Live Deliberately? - Living the Mess - Inner Peace for Overthinkers.” Living the Mess - Inner Peace for Overthinkers - Inner Peace for Overthinkers., 27 May 2021, livingthemess.com/on-living-deliberately/.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired after watching countless "try-on hauls" on tiktok and contemplating the wastefulness of the idea of "fast-fashion".