The “That Girl” Trend: Another Social Media Fad or Something New? | Teen Ink

The “That Girl” Trend: Another Social Media Fad or Something New?

March 14, 2024
By AryahiT BRONZE, Kernersville, North Carolina
AryahiT BRONZE, Kernersville, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“Make it happen, girl. Shock everyone.”


“Feel good. Look good. Do good.”


“Do something today that your future self will thank you for.”


These motivational quotes best encompass the idea behind the new Gen Z trend. The “That Girl” trend, as TikTok defines it, encourages people (largely women) to become the best version of themselves.  


Often that includes waking up early, exercising, journaling, practicing self-care, eating healthy, and being productive–that’s where things get messy. Many argue that the trend is unrealistic, and creates a toxic mindset. Admittedly, the trend CAN revisit harmful diet culture and become another impossible standard; although, aren’t there much worse trends?


The reality is, people on social media will continue to follow new fads and trends, whether they acknowledge it or not. People–especially young girls–will make an effort to fit into whatever is considered to be the “That Girl” of the era. 


Personally, I am overjoyed that “That Girl” is promoting a healthy lifestyle. I was introduced to the trend during the pandemic, which not only helped make the conflicts of the time bearable but also helped me move away from toxic diet culture and promote a HEALTHY lifestyle instead. At the time, there was a large craze about returning to our daily lives as a completely new person, which in turn led to the promotion of strict diets and exercise regimes. 


Today, many influencers argue that exercise and a healthy, balanced diet should be used as a way to get stronger, feel happier, and promote our mental well-being. In large part, the influencers also explain how failure is part of the self-growth journey. 


Isn’t this lifestyle much more sustainable than the trends of the past? Take the Keto diet (extremely low calories), OMAD diet (one meal a day), or worst of all: the tapeworm diet (in which women voluntarily ingested tapeworms as a form of nutrition). 


No thanks. I’ll take the “That Girl” trends–three meals a day, gym rest days, protein meals, and avocado toast–any day over tapeworms. 


If anything, this represents cancel culture and a negative eye toward trends, even if they promote well-being. 


There is nothing wrong with wanting to create good habits and live a healthy life. Without this trend, I would have never been introduced to the gym or would have remained in my cycle of procrastination and guilt. 


I think we can all agree that watching a self-help video is much more productive than scrolling on social media and being exposed to far more negative content. Now I’m not saying to go and buy 500 dollars worth of skincare all at once or start following a strict routine tomorrow morning; that’s not what the “That Girl” trend is about. The trend focuses on romanticizing or finding happiness in even perfunctory routines. 


So the next time you wake up, you can make your bed or clean your room; when you return the following afternoon, you’ll feel satisfied. Maybe you’ll pick up journaling as a method to sort through your thoughts. Maybe you’ll fill up a big water bottle to learn how to stay hydrated throughout the day. 


Whatever you do, it's your choice, and it's to make YOU happy. That’s the best part. 


The “That Girl” trend is turning our childhood punishments into our new goals. Our moms would be proud. 


The author's comments:

The "that girl trend" is something that I've been looking to speak about for a while and the following piece was my attempt at it. I'm a 15-year-old looking to expand my writing portfolio, this is the first piece I've ever submitted and I hope it gets accepted :)