Wristlets; Worth It? I Think Not. | Teen Ink

Wristlets; Worth It? I Think Not.

By Anna.W BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Anna.W BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

SAUCEED

Pretend you are going out on a date. You are wearing your Abercrombie skinny jeans, UGGS, a slick T – shirt and a soft, fuzzy sweater. You got a new wristlet to go with the outfit, but where did you put it? You rummage through your room and finally remember, you put it in your closet near your other accessories. What should you put in it? You would want bring your lip-gloss, but you need your phone too. If you try to shove that in there your lip-gloss will fall out. You also need money for a cab. Nothing fits.
Since I can’t carry anything in it, I ditch the wristlet and carry around a normal sized bag. In it I have a hairbrush, makeup, nail clipper, money, cell phone, sweater, keys and unmentionables. You can’t fit those things in a wristlet. Since you can barely fit anything into one, why do teenagers buy them.
Troubled by the wristlet trend, I wondered if teens out there like me think about how wristlets are impractical. So I surveyed my class and learned that 50% of the girls in my grade own wristlets. I was shocked. In a room filled with practical girls, 50% of them owned an impractical accessory. Girls now buy them from brand names like Channel, coach, Gucci, GUESS, Vera Bradley, Juicy Couture, Marc Jacobs and many more. While I know they are very “fashionable,” they’re not functional. They’re just some elegant material with a zipper attached.

I believe now other girls agree with me, but own them for certain reasons. I think girls just want to carry them around so other girls will see their new Coach wristlet. Also teenagers like them because of the person who started the trend of wearing wristlets. Madonna was the person who made the wristlet “little purse” famous. I think it would be someone like Paris Hilton because she is a girly girl who owns a lot of product name bags and clothes and connects with several of adolescents. But it wasn’t Paris Hilton it was Madonna.
Even though Madonna made them famous, I thought that just pre teens and teens were the only people who liked wristlets. Unfortunately I was wrong, Yesterday, I saw an older woman with a bright pink and blue wristlet. I would have never imagined that a woman in her late 50s would purchase such a hip item. Maybe she had it to show off to her friends, or she wanted to be hip and young again. Personally, I don’t think that it works; I think it made her look desperate. So note to all mothers and older woman don’t and I said don’t - buy or wear wristlets.
Teens and adults out there, think about how wristlets are pointless. If you don’t buy them you can save a lot of money. Don’t think about popularity. Just use a regular -sized purse.

iWriteForFood SILVER, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

"Logic will get you from point A to point B. Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Albert Einstein

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I see where you're coming from, but I have to disagree. I have a Vera Bradley wristlet that is big enough to fit my phone, I.D., some money, and extra hair bands. I am a cheerleader, so I usually need money for dinner or concession stand stuff at games, and carrying a wristlet with just the essentials is so much easier than trying to bring my whole purse with me and carry it around. Sometimes all you need is what fits in a wristlet.

Emgatz said...
Teen's use wristlets because all we carry around is a phone, and money. I have 3 wristlets from Coach. I'm 17 in a few days. There are small wristlets (size of the iphone 5 in length) and then the bigger ones but not too big, just a big wider. All I put in mine when I go out is my phone (iPhone 5, and some money. A lipgloss does fit. Wristlets aren't really for older women because we all know you ladies carry your whole life in your bag. Us teens don't, we just need some money and our phones. Lipglosses, mascara, eye liners etc. do fit.

I loove wrislets <3 i dont have a coach one either.

Caroline said...
This is a FIVE STAR article!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the detail and i think you did a wonderful job!!!!!