HEY IT'S FRED ANNOYING!!! | Teen Ink

HEY IT'S FRED ANNOYING!!!

By Noah Bartel BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts
Noah Bartel BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts

Lucas is a sixteen year old who makes videos for Youtube; his main characters name is Fred Figglehorn, a six year old, who makes videos with his mom’s camera, and has an extremely high voice, which is only made possible by his computer program. Fred’s videos mainly address issues such as bullies, his drunken mom and a squirrel with rabies (his dog), and are not very exciting or interesting. He gets bullied for things like swimming with his shirt on and having a crush on Judy, another character.

Fred was created in 2005 and has become insanely famous with over 1.4 million subscribers. Fred also has merchandise in stores like Hot Topic and Newbury comics. He sells shirts, buttons, magnets, lunch boxes and even plush toys. Fred gets a nickel for every time his videos are viewed and his videos are viewed over one million times each. So in other words Fred makes a lot of money. I don’t understand why Fred is so popular. So many Americans love him and are crazy enough to actually buy his merchandise. What does that tell us? Are Americans just losing their sense of good humor?

Fred has been around for four years or so, and he was sort of funny in the beginning but now he’s getting just plain old boring. I think that Fred should stop making videos so the fans can treasure those videos that are already up.

Some people, like me, think that Fred is copying MakeMeBad35, another well-known youtube user. MakeMeBad35 has a character named Jimmy who also has a high voice (but he doesn’t use a program, he just talks in a high voice) and he came out way before Fred. People always diss MakeMeBad35 for copying Fred, but honestly it’s the other way around. I just want to get people to see that MakeMeBad35 was the first to have a young high voiced, not very “bright” character, not Fred. The only thing I can say in Fred’s defense is that Jimmy is for older people because of his… hm… explicit language and Fred is more for the younger kids.

Fred gets a lot of hate comments and some of them are really mean, but some of them actually make sense. For instance: “Why does this have 9 million views?” posted by Youtube user HiddenMickeyA113 on “Fred Goes to the Park” and literally that video is him swinging and then falling on his face. Does that sound interesting to you? Another Youtube user, ChillKill13, wrote, “Fred is finally loosing his fans and his mind. I think its time to give it up… grow up dude.” This is slightly harsher, but it’s true if you think about it. Fred has been going on for a couple years now and it’s not funny anymore. I think we should all get over Fred, or at least take a break.

I don’t think that Fred should be so popular on Youtube because he copies other people and isn’t funny anymore. He needs to move on.

This was for an English assignment and I also am a big Youtuber. This is something that EVERY Youtuber thinks about.

jojo said...
nope! youre wrongg

Actually fred videos are pretty cool.I mean the still can be a little boring but their funny and he is an actor.Hes suppose act dumb and funny.I suggest checking out shanaynay and can i have youre number .their super funny.

gal 123 said...
i have always hated fred and always will hate him. its sooo annoying he just fast forwards his voice and my friends agree with me.

coolstudygirl GOLD, Vermilion, Ohio
Hey you just pointed out my comments shame on you they were mine and not yours to quote. And anyways I like Fred. He's very cool and funny. I think that you do not have a sense of humor.

ThatClarinetPerson SILVER, Tequesta, Florida

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."
~Marvin the Paranoid Android (from the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series)
Statistical analysis suggests that i am probably in tune with someone
(hahahahaha! I love this cause i'm never ever ever in tune >o

heyy, i agree with you! omg, fred's soooooooooo annoying!

Noah B said...
Thanks so much! I wrote this a while ago and I'm still getting comments! Yay! Thank you for your comment. :) And yeah I am a big Youtuber.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

I really like Fred, I do. I even watched his movie and it was hilarious. But his YouTube videos are getting pretty boring. I agree with you that they were good in the beginning but now its just the same old things over and over again. And now, even the "Annoying orange" is funnier than him.

Now about the article, I like your style. You weren't too hateful but you didn't support him either. You gave very good details on both sides of the story. I can tell you know your YouTube facts (: Great job! Keep witing.

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

The videos are slightly funny but I don't get the big craze either. Very well written article and I like how you look from different points of view at Fred.

caitlin.calamity BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
-Bruce Barton

I love Fred. His videos are just my kind of weird, stupid, randomness. They make me laugh and laughing is the best medicine. Especially for someone like me.

Schubster said...
The fact that so many youth even go on to you tube these days is appalling, let alone watching Fred. I'm not a you tube hater or anything, i just don't why ppl spend hours on hours watching the videos. but i seriously hate Fred...I can't stand him.

IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

I don't know. I mean, I agree with you. Fred had a series of videos for a while but now people have to move on. But really, I find these videos funny. I'm not an obsessed fan. But when I'm in the mood for something funny and immature, I click on a Fred video. They're not a phenomenon for me - they're just another fairly funny YouTube video.

AmandaL BRONZE said...
AmandaL BRONZE, Newton, Massachusetts

"When you're young, it's okay to be easily ignored." -Jason Mraz

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I don't get the Fred thing either. But clearly you and I have both seen enough Fred's to give a pretty detailed synopsis (as you have done here), so there still remains some sort of attraction to weird little kids (who act too much like Butters from "South Park") with high voices and issues. That's something I don't think I'll ever understand.

The fact that Lucas became a Youtube (and real-world) star is seriously unsettling and worrisome. These days, ANYONE can become famous with the click of a mouse.

I mean, congrats to Lucas, but seriously man, find some real talents.