HEY IT'S FRED ANNOYING!!! | Teen Ink

HEY IT'S FRED ANNOYING!!!

November 4, 2009
By Noah Bartel BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts
Noah Bartel BRONZE, Watertown, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Lucas is a sixteen year old who makes videos for Youtube; his main characters name is Fred Figglehorn, a six year old, who makes videos with his mom’s camera, and has an extremely high voice, which is only made possible by his computer program. Fred’s videos mainly address issues such as bullies, his drunken mom and a squirrel with rabies (his dog), and are not very exciting or interesting. He gets bullied for things like swimming with his shirt on and having a crush on Judy, another character.

Fred was created in 2005 and has become insanely famous with over 1.4 million subscribers. Fred also has merchandise in stores like Hot Topic and Newbury comics. He sells shirts, buttons, magnets, lunch boxes and even plush toys. Fred gets a nickel for every time his videos are viewed and his videos are viewed over one million times each. So in other words Fred makes a lot of money. I don’t understand why Fred is so popular. So many Americans love him and are crazy enough to actually buy his merchandise. What does that tell us? Are Americans just losing their sense of good humor?

Fred has been around for four years or so, and he was sort of funny in the beginning but now he’s getting just plain old boring. I think that Fred should stop making videos so the fans can treasure those videos that are already up.

Some people, like me, think that Fred is copying MakeMeBad35, another well-known youtube user. MakeMeBad35 has a character named Jimmy who also has a high voice (but he doesn’t use a program, he just talks in a high voice) and he came out way before Fred. People always diss MakeMeBad35 for copying Fred, but honestly it’s the other way around. I just want to get people to see that MakeMeBad35 was the first to have a young high voiced, not very “bright” character, not Fred. The only thing I can say in Fred’s defense is that Jimmy is for older people because of his… hm… explicit language and Fred is more for the younger kids.

Fred gets a lot of hate comments and some of them are really mean, but some of them actually make sense. For instance: “Why does this have 9 million views?” posted by Youtube user HiddenMickeyA113 on “Fred Goes to the Park” and literally that video is him swinging and then falling on his face. Does that sound interesting to you? Another Youtube user, ChillKill13, wrote, “Fred is finally loosing his fans and his mind. I think its time to give it up… grow up dude.” This is slightly harsher, but it’s true if you think about it. Fred has been going on for a couple years now and it’s not funny anymore. I think we should all get over Fred, or at least take a break.

I don’t think that Fred should be so popular on Youtube because he copies other people and isn’t funny anymore. He needs to move on.

The author's comments:
This was for an English assignment and I also am a big Youtuber. This is something that EVERY Youtuber thinks about.