My Qualm with Converses | Teen Ink

My Qualm with Converses

November 27, 2009
By E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia
E.L.W. PLATINUM, Glen Allen, Virginia
31 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels.
The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes -
the ones who see things differently.
They're not fond of rules and they have no respect for the status quo.
They push the human race forward.


Chucks. Converses. Those canvas sneaker things, whatever you want to call them. They used to be a symbol of individuality, a trend from the past, one you find when watching the Molly Ringwald classics, but they are back. I don't know why it bothers me, but they used to be reserved for those with spunk and individuality. The punk rocker types, the drama club geeks, or anyone who really liked the artistic beauty of the roughed-up black canvas that adorned the sides of a well-loved pair of hi-tops. Now they come in the "preppy" colors. Heck, they have plaid!

There are still the classic blacks, but now everyone owns a pair! They aren't a symbol of uniqueness and a way of expression, they are just another passing trend, a fad, something the popular kids wear and others follow in suit. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against them. I really like the way they look and feel but this recent blast of popularity has turned me off. I always admired their versatility, their not too rich-kid look, their ability to fit in at the mall and rock concert alike, but now I can't bring myself to buy a pair. They used to be a cool way of expressing your style, but now they are just another brand name every kid in my town owns.


The author's comments:
And yes, I know they are so "2007-2008".