Teen-age girl’s appearance and the effects on their self esteem… | Teen Ink

Teen-age girl’s appearance and the effects on their self esteem…

By Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

These days’ teen girls lack something very important, self esteem. A majority of teen girls try to fit in by having the hottest clothing, perfect hair, and perfect bodies; while also trying to be cool, and popular. They do this in order to fit in. They worry more about their appearance, instead of working on their school work. Their concentration is on their bodies and clothing. A recent survey was taken in a school, and here are the results...

59% of 5–12th grade girls in one survey were dissatisfied with their body shape.

20–40% of girls begin dieting at age 10.

By 15, girls are twice as likely to become depressed than boys.

Among 5–12th graders, 47% said they wanted to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

Health risks accompany girls' drop in self-esteem due to risky eating habits, depression, and unwanted pregnancy.

Girls aged 10 and 12 (tweens) are confronted with "teen" issues such as dating and sex, at increasingly earlier ages.

73% of 8–12–year olds dress like teens and talk like teens.

Many people are surprised by the results. Girls low self esteem, worries many teachers and parents. The question is, why does their self esteem change, why they lack it, and why they focus on their physical appearance? Some experts conclude that a pre - teens focus shifts, the body becomes an all consuming passion, and that is their main focus. "Self-esteem becomes too closely tied to physical attributes; girls feel they can't measure up to society standards." Significantly, girls are rushing to get whatever the other teen girls are getting, while affecting their self esteem. Quoted from an article by Anita Gurian, Ph.D.

The attitude of teen girls who think that they do not have perfect hair, perfect bodies, or perfect clothing can wreak havoc on a teen girl’s self esteem. Importantly, the question is how can we help them raise their self esteem? Some opinions from experts and stay at home moms are, "Watch your own stereotypes; let daughters help fix the kitchen sink and let sons help make dinner." Self esteem matters a lot, it is your courage, your confidence, and it is self respect in yourself.
For decades teen girls all over the world have lacked self esteem. Some girls will let people put them down and they will not stand up for themselves They need to realize that we are all unique individuals, and don’t have to be a copy. Hopefully things will change and get better. It’s obvious that we need to take some action, and help teen girls understand that looks don't always matter. What matters is on the inside, your character and how you treat people; not having the perfect body, or perfect hair, but your inner beauty.

i just wanted to tell what i thought and things that we can change.

Dimples said...
Girls! Girls! Girls! i dont even know why girls are so obsessed with their body styles. Im not even worried about my body. I dont care how i look. Im not trying to look hot for anyone, i be myself. And ladies you should to the same, i know that some of  you may be over weight, but its all about what you eat. You should be proud of who you are.

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

i Want to say thanks for your Opinion.  And Thanks for reading my article.

Please comment and rate.

Jennay. said...
Jennay., Spotsylvania, Virginia
This article can be based on only those teen girls that were surveyed but I believe that if a surveyed was to be filled out by other teen girls, the results would somewhat turn out the same way. Self esteem is a big part to a young woman’s life and without it, us as women would feel so lost. Those clothes, hairstyles, body types etc is what makes popularity and personalities. Which is absurd, because why should it matter? Honestly, it matters a lot! I, myself, care but not the point where it takes over my education and social life. I have my own style, and so can others. It’s up to the girls on what they want and what they like, not what the other people wear and like. Most others wouldn’t agree with me on this to begin not to care as much. Either way, teens will care because that’s how they are. Everything is judged upon and sometimes you just have to say, "Oh well, I don’t care." Until then, some of us will follow in the footsteps of others while the rest grow up and find something else to worry about. The facts that you inserted in this article is what really caught my attention because I would have never guessed that teens are so diverse and varied just in how they look. This is very dynamic and is just asking for a go-getter opinion, which is great (:

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

Sure, I respect your opinion.  Yes, I will check your work!

Thanks for rating and commenting.

nextJKRowling BRONZE, Shorewood, Wisconsin

Yesterdays history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, thats why its called the present

I personally do not agree with all the points this article makes-but its well written with nice word choice

Thanks for writing! Can u read mine?

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

thanks for all the comment and rattings. Keep it up!

'thanks

zaza

Stevie said...
I think the author is right in pointing out that something needs to be done about this obsession with appearance.

this was very good. I liked it a lot. !

5 *****  (stars)

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

Please, if you read this. Please COMMENT and RATE> if you rate mine i will rate yours. Thanks.

once_a_redhead SILVER, Lady Lake, Florida

"love is somethin' we all feel even if we don't know that we do!!"

hey i think its great!! we all just need to keep the word out there!

personally i have a i am who i am peresonality but i have an acohlic dad so i know wat its like to soemtimes ? yourself so i try to help others all i can!!!! thanks for inspiring my to try allt he more harder

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

sorry, i was trying to say thanks*

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

hanks, sorry i did not add on how to raise self esteem. good luck with getting higher self esteem

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

This was a great article and I have very low self-esteem so it helped a bit but I don't know how to raise it :/

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

thanks so much!

Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

thanks so much. and your right.. we could all use more self esteem. thanks for the wonderful comment and i hoped you rated my work! thanks! <br />
~ Zaza W. - the author.

love_laugh_dream_24 SILVER, Merrill, Iowa
That article is so true! Everyone could use more self-esteem.

brandonbear said...
brandonbear, KC, MO, Missouri
hi, that is a great article you have. i like it!. :)

sknopik said...
Cool insight into what girls are thinking! I liked the part about role reversals!

wondergirl68 said...
hi! i loved your article! it is fab!

Zazawish777 said...
hi, it's me the author, and i just wanted to say please post a comment so i can see what you think. thanks!