A Style of My Own | Teen Ink

A Style of My Own

February 17, 2010
By SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming
SaddleShoeGal PLATINUM, Granite Canyon, Wyoming
23 articles 42 photos 71 comments

Favorite Quote:
"History is the key to the future"--Melinda Emerson
"Never tell the truth to those unworthy of it"--Mark Twain


Why do they have all those fashion shows with the most ridiculous outfits, when only about 2% of the population is likely to actually wear clothing like that? It just doesn't make sense to go through all that trouble to make something as hideous as what they make, though to some people it may not be hideous. Either way, when that type of clothing become available in store, it is way too expensive for normal, ordinary folk to even think about buying it!

And what about the brand name clothing? What is the big deal about it? Most people I know can't even tell what the brand of clothing you are wearing is, unless it is written largely someone visible. Why do people care so much about it? One can get just about the same piece of clothing, with minor differences, for a much better price, when it is not brand name. If one was stuck on brand name clothing, and they had little money, why not go to a local thrift store and get what you want? It's a lot cheaper, more comfortable, and it's what you want.

Lately, when traveling, most teenage girls are wearing loads of makeup, pin-straight hair, overly-large sunglasses, super-short shorts that shouldn't be considered shorts, and ballet flats or flip-flops. Why don't they have their own sense of style? It's because they are too scared to show it off, they believe they will be ridiculed for it, they don't want to dare to be different. Yes, they may be comfortable, but why don't you make it your own? Don't follow what everyone else is dressed like, unless you absolutely love it, and it's comfy enough for you.

I, personally, don't follow everyone's style. I wear whatever I want, and look however I feel. I usually wear either new clothes, or used clothes from a thrift store. I like vintage-type clothing, so I incorporate that into my look. I style my hair different from everyone else because I hate pin-straight hair. I like to curl mine. How many teenagers do you see out there with curly hair, that isn't naturally curly? My guess is not many.

If everyone had their own style, and fashion didn't really matter, the world would be a whole lot different. Everyone would not look like clones, and one can feel free and not have to worry about what other people think of them. Embrace your own personality, and do what you want!


The author's comments:
I'm just tired of everyone stressing over brand names and fashion, it doesn't really matter that much!