Keep the Real Books! | Teen Ink

Keep the Real Books!

May 3, 2010
By Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
Christy PLATINUM, Arden Hills, Minnesota
23 articles 18 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Happiness is not a destination, but a way of travel."


Nothing can keep me away from real books. I love the feel of a book in my hands, and the ability to flip to any part of a book I want. If books were replaced by digital devices reading would no longer be the same and would become just another thing we do using electronics and staring at screens. No longer could you head into the library and feel the same joy of walking down the aisles and trying to select a book. No longer could you have the same satisfaction of opening a new book and breaking the binding, or flipping through the pages. No longer could you casually glance over someone’s shoulder to see what they’re reading. With the “e-readers” you would no longer measure your progress in pages, but in percents. Bookstores would go out of business and soon you would be buying books with the internet instead of heading into a cozy store to sit at the cafe and browse. If books were replaced many jobs would be lost. Book printers would no longer be needed, and marketing and distributing workers would now do all their work online. Books are supposed to be a sensory experience- with colorful covers, good smelling pages, and printed words. With the easy access to books on a device, book publishing would soon be too easy, and I fear that many books would lose their quality. Story-telling would no longer be an event that brings children together, and adults could no longer share colorful picture books to their children. What’s more, with a real book, you don’t need to worry about the battery being dead.