Above the Influence...of Muisc | Teen Ink

Above the Influence...of Muisc

September 23, 2010
By bunbunthegerman SILVER, Islip Terrace, New York
bunbunthegerman SILVER, Islip Terrace, New York
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is the school, Love, is the lesson


Flashback to the late 1960's - Jim Morrison- despite his aclaimed insanity he writes poetry. Jim's poems become songs. His poetry meant something, a comment on life, with substance and a point of view. Okay, now let's come back to the future. I cannot help but notice that when listening to the radio, that most if not all the songs i hear that day have to do with: drugs, sex, alcohol, getting arrested etc. Now, why are we so suprised at "kids these days" who drink, smoke, get pregnant and rebel against every authoritative figure they encounter? Music is the lifeline to teenagers- it gives us something to believe in. Example, if your favorite song is "Bottoms Up", then you're likely to be into drinking too ( or you at least act like you are to look cool). Now maybe I'm a little bit biased because i don't particularly like a lot of songs that other teenagers do and often end up in awkward situations saying "ohh...no...i DONT know that song, sorry". But the music I listen to has meaning that goes beyond Taylor Swift's catchy lyrics about making up and braking up; and Usher's songs placing importance ONLY on the appearance of women. We need music that can teach us valuable lessons, that can truely speak to young minds and prevent today's youth from falling even farther into oblivion. Not to mention the materialistic songs today about cars and money, which in effect has convinced many teens that money and fame doesn't involve hard work- when it looks SO awesome in music videos. I'm not saying that everyone should listen to The Doors, The Who and Led Zeppelin (my personal favorites) for the rest of their lives. If you want to listen to the popular music, and that's what you're into that's great; just keep in mind what the lyrics are really saying. And just because your favorite artist wrote it, that doesn't mean they're a good example for how you should live your own life. Control your own mind. Be your own person, we need more of those.


The author's comments:
Today, i was looking through the "Top Ten" on iTunes and was disappointed when I found that all the song titles i recognized were about explict topics.