If I Could Turn Back Time | Teen Ink

If I Could Turn Back Time

By Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other
Fate98 GOLD, Glasgow, Other

"Life isn’t about how popular you are… What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts.. and our minds. This is the reason we sing.. this is the reason we cry… this is why we live." - Andy six"

Oh if i could turn back time.

These days times aren't that great. You might be happy with your life, i am too. But don't you ever think what if then was now. We must do as right now 70's cloths are in fashion. Lets look back through the decades in witch our parents, our grandparents were lucky enough to be a part of.

We start at the Swinging 60's. We start there because that's were my Grandmother was a teen and i could pick her brain. Not just that obvously, we start their because that's when music, fashion and just being young began to bust with life. The 60s was the decade of great music - the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Dusty Springfield, the Who - the list could go on and on. The 60s was also a time of great social change; old conventions were challenged and old attitudes faded with the decade. The 60's was also when, fittingly, the voting age was lowered to eighteen. The 60s was also the era of rapid technological progress which is when man's first steps on the moon took place in 1969. Many people watched the event on television; a lucky few watched in colour. Like pop music, fashion went through a revolution in the 60s, but for most women little changed in the early years of the decade. The styles of the late fifties, the Chanel suit and the full skirt were still popular. By the middle of the 60s, the mini was in and short hair, in the geometric style of Vidal Sassoon, was the in look. By the end of the sixties, the look was long, flowing hair, hippy beads and kaftans. So the 60's was a decade for change, excitement,revolution and discovery.

OK the 70s maby not so great for music in the beginning. But For some the 70s was the golden era of British television. The 70s started where the 60s left off. Hippy ideas and fashions were becoming part of mainstream culture. Technology progress improved home life. Including everyone with a coloured T.V and traveling abroad was available to everyone. The better and more retro MTV of back then Top Of The Pops was pretty slow and boring. Until the punk rockers broke out in 77. It was new, it was outrageous but it was excitement. The young people of the 70s were braking out and screaming how they feel. The new type of music, though scary to some, was another revolution that I'm glad happened.

The 80's was known as the decade of greed,Politics and obvcorse the brick seized mobile phone (one thing i wish was never invented.)On the fashion side of things Japanese designers were setting the pace in the early years of the 80s. There was a trend towards looser fitting, layered clothing. Later in the 80s, power dressing and big shoulder pads influenced by the glamorous American soap, 'Dynasty' took over. Fashion was more exclusive; it was all about designer labels. So maybe the 80's wasn't great for money and stuff but if you were into good music, like i am, it was pretty great. Michael Jackson and the emergence of Madonna, which arguably were the most powerful musicians during the time. Their videos became a permanent fixture on MTV and gained a worldwide mass audience. Back then "pop" is a type of music i would actually listen to (not like now) with artists like New Kids on the Block, Debbie Gibson, Tiffany, Tommy Page, New Edition, Stacey Q, The Bangles. 80's was also the time for one of my favourites ROCK. With legendary bands like Def Leppard, Mötley Crüe, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Poison, Whitesnake,Arosmith and never forget Guns N Roses. Yes the 80's truly was the best time for music with so many diffrent types that a musically educated minde would still love and apresheat today.

Finaly the 90s, Alot of the people on this will remeber the 90's as they were a child then. The 90's wasn't alot diffrent from now. They had a few less gadgets (lucky them) and the music got alot cheesyer, alot of it would now be classed as a guilty pleasure. Lots of girl band and boy bands. Dance music was big (ech) and fashion was pretty basic. Well apart from the people who were grunge there was nothing cheesy pop and basic about them. I'd probably be grunge if it was me back then.

OK what I'm saying is look through all these years. How people lived, treated one another ect. Now look where we are now. Have we evolved for the better. Maybe in some ways we have. But over all if i could turn back to simpympler time or just a time where music was better i would.

Would you?

I got some info from family members.

What decade would you turn back to.

catty98e GOLD said...
catty98e GOLD, Spring HIll, Kansas

"I'm a freak, I've been a freak my whole life. I just have to live with it, you know. I'm just one of those people. I'm not going to change the way I think or the way I feel to conform to anything."
-John Winston Lennon (1940-1980)

I have definitely always thought that I was born far too late. I would love to be a teen in the late fifties!!! I love the 60's 70's and 80's wish I could really live then, but I feel like I do the best with what i have. Great piece!!! I love it!!!

Mothra7687 BRONZE, Mattawan, Michigan

"Don't try to live your life in one day." - Howard Jones

I would. from a time when my parents and grandparents grew up, where things were much simpiler and music was bought on vinyl and tape, It would have been intresting to experience those times as kindness is sparse and many music artists of the world today are not as good as they used to be.