encouraged then judged | Teen Ink

encouraged then judged

By mollied BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
mollied BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Starting with cutting her hair, Miley Cyrus has clearly changed her character from an innocent disney star to a crazy star with no rules. Not only has she changed but so has her music. Her first notable performance with her new personality was the VMA's where she wore scandalous clothing, used a foam finger a little too sexually, and danced up against Robin Thicke. Many were horrified and she received tons of hate for it. She didn't care about the nasty comments and she just went on doing her thing, posting many pictures along the way. People all around the world judged and made their opinions public posting and speaking in various newspapers, television shows, and social media sights. Our initial reactions and judgements seem fair and reasonable, but the questions remain, do we have such a right to judge her, are we contradicting our common morals and is the judgmental attention what she was looking for. We can not judge her actions. She was breaking free from a handicap we had placed on her, demonstrating an envied personality, and gaining more attention for her work. In a world striving to be judge free, we aren’t setting the best example.
        Along with my family and almost the entire twitter feed, my initial reaction was horror. The Miley from my favorite disney channel show was not the same as the Miley I was watching perform. I had idolized her beauty and purity and was stunned when neither seemed important to her on the VMA stage. I became embarrassed that she had been my idol for so long. Looking back on it now, her performance was the first of many and it was planned. She knew exactly what she was doing and was trying to break free from her innocent disney star aroma that she has carried for so long. We placed that image around her, it was her right to break free from such a childish conception. We can not judge someone who is trying to free herself from an image that was affecting her career. She wanted adult respect and to no longer be known for her part in the hit series "Hannah Montana”. It affected her image and many thought of her as another non-important disney star when all she wanted was the respect that she and her music deserved. Pop-culture is changing and she wanted to change with it, breaking free from her childlike reputation was the first step. We can not judge someone for wanting to break from a restraining image.

With breaking this reputation, she executed many shocking stage performances and acts. She said that she wanted the real her to be known and she wants to be herself. She became tired of the “perfect” hollywood image many stars put forth and she was done hiding the real her from the world. She went through a heart break that forever changed her and shaped her into who she is today. Starting at the youngest days, we encourage people to be different and to be themselves without holding back yet we criticize her every move in all aspects of the media. She is different from most and she is proud of it, which is a moral concept we instill in our youth, yet we set such an awful example for them. We contradict our own ideas and we expect them to listen? We tell them to be themselves and be proud and then we bash on those that do? Pop-culture has a huge impact on our society. It’s in the news, on the radio, on cell-phones, on computers, etc. It’s every where and if we can’t set an example to accept differences, future generations never will. She is a woman who is proud of everything she has become and she never apologizes for who she is. She should be an example (in some aspects), instead of our easiest critique. We can not judge her actions as we have encouraged her to do so. She deserves respect for being herself, unlike so many others are afraid to do. We do not have such a right to critique her when she is doing what many wish they could do, be themselves without caring about others’s opinion. We must learn to respect what we have encouraged and hoped to achieve since youth.
        Along with trying to break her childlike characterization, she was also fishing for her name to be known all across the board. Her music and name had begun to lose it's place in magazines and iTunes. Our child like image of her was a handicap on her success rate. She needed a pick up and she did just that. Her outbreak and change of heart may have been a shock, but it brought her name back to the light. Her music tops the iTunes charts and you can find her name in almost any newspaper, magazine or social media board. She may have lost the respect of many but she got exactly what she wanted, attention. Simply the name Miley Cyrus rings a bell in most minds and brings up images from her recent scandals. Our judgmental attention has given her exactly what she wanted. Once again, the reputation pop-culture placed on her was affecting her and she had every right to break free from it. We can not judge one who just wants to succeed at her job and receive more attention for her work.
        Put more simply, Miley knew exactly what she was doing when she acted so improper on a stage being watched by so many. She was breaking free from her disney image and bringing her name and music to the light again. She lost respect from many and received harsh judgements from most, but she accomplished exactly what she wanted to. We have no right to judge her behaviors as we encouraged them and pride ourselves on the fact that we encourage our future generations to respect them. We can not judge her for being herself, wanting to succeed and be more well-known, or achieving such an encouraged personality. We must open our eyes and see that in reality, we envy her. We envy her sense of self-worth and success. We forever promote being yourself with no apologies and that’s exactly what she’s doing. The popculture world is in no position to judge her.

kpeach said...
While I don't agree with vulgar behavior...I do agree with expressing your individuality!