Internet's Effect on Music | Teen Ink

Internet's Effect on Music

By Matthew Izzo BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
Matthew Izzo BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina

Innovation: an uncharged vicissitude, oftentimes employed in order to describe revolutionary advancement. Constant innovation serves as the epitome of our unique American culture; and is the very ink with which we write the story of our history. Countless technological breakthroughs have undoubtedly guided us towards a new, more sophisticated society: however, no change is without consequence. Unfortunately, our society often ignores the contrary and instead chooses to celebrate new technology unconditionally. The Internet functions as the cornerstone of American ingenuity, yet it ironically (although unbeknownst to many) contributes to the destruction of the very creativity that led to its existence. The Internet replaces the authentic and the true with the forged and the phony. The epitome of its phoniness can be seen most easily through entities that advertise the widespread distribution of music, such as iTunes and YouTube. These digital fabrications of such a sacred art form are only shells of  original music’s oysters: devoid of the pearls that are discovered through a genuine listening experience. Websites that illegally harness music and make it accessible to the public change the entire face of the music industry; and devalue the intimate listening experience that artists originally intend to create through their music.

I can still remember when I heard Pink Floyd for the first time. I was nine years old at the time, and was probably a lot more interested in building forts in the woods than listening to some “old people” music. But one night, my dad called me upstairs and told me he wanted me to hear his favorite song, from his favorite album, from his favorite band. He pulled out an old record player (which I immediately interpreted as a sign that the music would be horrible) and delicately placed the needle on the already-present record. From the second I heard that soft G-minor creep slowly into the intro of what I would later discover was Pink Floyd’s Shine on you Crazy Diamond, I immediately realized that this band was different. I didn’t know how or why- but what I did know was that this song was unlike any song I had ever heard.  I think it was my personal connection, as well as my father’s, to the music that sparked our emotional bond with the song: my father’s mother had recently passed away, which paralleled Floyd’s grieving in the song for former band leader Syd Barrett. By reverently listening to all 26 minutes of Shine on you Crazy Diamond that day, my father showed me the personal gains from developing an intimate listening experience; and that music should never be played simply for the sake of listening, but instead to form a connection to the music that is unique to the individual.

When we hear a song for the first time, we often overlook the significance of the premeditated bias that we have already unconsciously formed against it. That is, how can one possibly establish a personal connection with music when they hear it through the ears of another? Music is particular to the individual: its worth cannot be accurately judged when perceived from another’s unique experience. However, my intention is not simply to rebuke the communal celebration of music; but instead to stress the urgency of developing an exclusive point of view to accompany the viewpoints of others. This phenomenon assimilates itself to the devout Catholic’s relationship to his/her God: one whose faith blossoms not only through their participation in a communal celebration of mass, but also through their solitary relationship with Him. On the flip side of this meaningful personal meditation, however, lies infamous ignorance;  those who categorically endorse their own viewpoint and are quick to discredit any stances that deviate from their own. Homogeneous to the inadequacy of an individual to form personal connection with music, a person who opts to neglect the views of others in their mission to find meaning in music only further incapacitates their ability to find themselves through it. As human beings, we naturally harness the thoughts of others in order to form our own distinct views; to isolate our opinions without comparison is to restart the human thought process itself. Therefore, it is imperative that we even the balance between personal and communal understanding if we wish to achieve an unabridged connection with the music we listen to.

Some additional concerns I have with contemporary society, apart from the Internet’s role in music, are the consequences that stem from the incessant “hustle and bustle” lifestyle of contemporary Americans. Somewhere along this transition, music was deemed by the people as unimportant and undeserving of their respect; merely the “background music” for when they were engaged in another activity.  The process of appreciating music is directly proportional to an individual’s sporadic mindstate; an individual under stress would be much less inclined to listen to music for the purpose of bonding with it. Instead of relieving themselves of all responsibilities as one should to promote a clear and relaxed mindstate, people simply add “listening to music” to their to-do lists, regardless of how much stress or responsibility is running through the backs of their minds as they listen to it. Unable to concentrate, let alone comprehend, they might as well be listening to empty radio frequencies.
Music demands reflection. Music demands effort. Music is not a slave. If the greater developed world must continue this trend, I fear for the preservation of the traditional, authentic musical experience. In order to protect the balance of personal insight and the opinions of others, our generation must loosen its grip on the Internet and instead focus on an art form; one that will not, despite the efforts of time, ever become truly extinct: Music.