Perfect Teacher | Teen Ink

Perfect Teacher

January 22, 2019
By gooberhep SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
gooberhep SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"if you change the way you look at things then the things you look at change"


On average kids like teachers that are more kid friendly or participate with outside things away from school. Like being a sports coach for another example, Mr. Schopp was one of my favorite teachers ever because he is the coach of two of the sports I am in. that was probably gonna be my 4th example if we had it. That is why I liked Mr. Schopp so much as a teacher. So that is one of the good traits the perfect teacher has to have. My essay is about the perfect teacher (in my opinion) and his/her traits. Everybody loves to finally get their favorite teacher and totally love that year in school, and that is what I am talking about. Some more traits of the perfect teacher, in my opinion, has to have these 3 traits; Ability to engage students in learning, dedication to teaching, and gives a reasonable amount of homework.

   So for my first trait to be a good teacher has to really spend a lot of time to know, take time and love the subject that they teach. First, they have to have majored in that subject in college. As I know a lot of teachers do, but one teacher that I have this year that didn’t is Mr. Jones. Personally, I don't like Mr. Jones, he is bad at telling us information about test/quizzes and he is also not good at explaining things. I just don't think he’s a good overall teacher. Second teachers need to take time out of their own time to correct and a whole bunch of different stuff, or else they would be behind on their own work. Teachers need to be passionate about their work and the kids work. Most teachers who tell us information on what the week will be like every monday, also is usually the more talkative ones and those ones are better teachers because, they usually explain things really well.Which that point brings me into engaging students in what they love, and have to know what kids prefer and to engage them in learning in a way that kids can learn it easier.

   So engaging students in learning aren't just to be fun and mess around, it is to learn with a certain topic that they enjoy. One way for teachers to engage with students have to be good examples like with me a good example for math like with a parabola instead of showing just a plain old graph instead it could be a picture of a person shooting a 3 pointer and then having to graph the max, min, etc. Some more things they could do for example like Mrs. Huseth in 7th grade with the egg experiment. What happened was I put an egg in a vinegar jar for around 3 days and the shell evaporated, and the inner layer stayed and it got strong and then the egg could bounce it was super fun to do at home and in school. The fun to serious factor is huge having too much fun just isn't learning and not doing anything fun I’d wanna fall asleep and then I don't listen because I am too tired. Even though I’ve never fallen asleep in class I have almost fallen asleep that was in drivers ed once and in Spanish twice. Whenever I see a teacher out of school and they are drinking beer or something like that it is very weird but they are adults and they do that. My mom and dad are in a little group called the curling club they do nothing with curling but it is a fun group and they are all really nice but they do all drink except for my mom. The special thing about one time we went to Dan's bar Mr. Gunderson was there because he is also in this fun little group and he was drunk. The next day in school he barely talked to me because he was embarrassed because he knew I was there. With all of this get a good amount of homework not too little but not too much.

   If I want a perfect teacher I need to get some homework but not too much or too little. I think the teacher who gives the most allowable amount of homework is Mr. Quinlan. I think Mr. Lindow is my least favorite teacher when it comes to homework. Mr. Lindow's favorite number is 44 I know and he really likes to have number 44 on his assignments. Not many people liked him and now were in Mr. Quinlan who is a really good teacher and gives an allowable amount of homework. Mr. Quinlan rarely goes over 10 problems on an assignment where Mr. Lindow was always like “44!! THAT’S ME!!” And no one at all liked when he did that, especially me. Kids need to be kids also in middle school especially because I have to get ready for high school not be treated like I’m a 12th grader getting homework in an AP class. I always feel like I am basically given a present whenever I am not given homework from one day of school and that rarely happens, this year it has happened once because it was the first day and we didn't even have to read yet for comm 9. And then there's Mr. Jones gives no homework until the day before a test.

And in conclusion for me, the ideal teacher has a dedication to teaching, engages students in their work, and gives an allowable amount of homework. And this is my own opinion everyone has their own perfect teacher. And in my opinion, having all these traits I get the perfect teacher. I have to have the cool of Mr. Schopp, the smarts of Mr. Quinlan, the homework of Mr. Quinlan, and Mr. Vande with the message and great examples. All my teachers have communicated with me on stuff throughout my whole life and that makes me happy knowing they can help and are not scary after all. The most ideal teacher in my life has been Mrs. Turner she was my favorite because she communicated very well and we still talk a little bit, and that she had time to get to know me not just as a student but also went to a few of my basketball tournaments. I've had a bunch of good teachers but there are certain traits to be the perfect teacher.


The author's comments:

A lot of teachers are smart but dont know how to teach that well