Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By jjasinski32 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
jjasinski32 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Why does dystopian literature so popular now? Dystopian Literature is popular today because some people wonder what it would be like to experience the dystopian world and how they would deal with the situation or they believe that it would be cool. It is popular because Dystopian societies are not very common were we live or not as common as before.

These dystopian stories are rising in popularity today because after they are published and told, they are made into million dollar movies and these movies are sold out quickly. But that is not completely the reason these stories are rising in popularity, it makes the reader think that the story is so realistic yet so fictional. The audience wants to hear more because they know that something in that story is so tragic and they know that something like that would never happen at home. Like in the story The Veldt, in that story you don’t have to do anything. You get fed by a machine and there are no real cooks, or you don’t have to tie your own shoes because in the story the machines in the house do it for you. In our world today we don’t have any of that so sometimes it’s kind of cool to imagine and see what happens in the stories.

Now another reason people(mostly teenger) are very interested in these types of stories is because authors gives the teenageers a different prospective. The author’s story is written in the eyes of a teenger, so that teen can comprehend the story plot better.  For this, teens won’t bored from hearing or reading story because they understand the characters and morals that are taught. For example, in Divergent, Beatrice's test was inconclusive so she wasn’t allowed to say anything. She kept it a secret the whole time and had us wondering if or when she was going to tell people her secret. Or like in Harrison Bergeron, They were forced to wear the handicaps based on how they look or if they were stronger or weaker than the other they all had to be the same and for a teenager or young adult that would be very interesting.

In these dystopian societies, they use both genders to be a main character, like they will use a girl as the main character and have a male being a very strong and close person to her in one story and a male as a main character in the other story with a female best friend. That way they give both the girls and boys a chance to connect or relate with the character in the dystopian story. In the story Ten With A Flag they used Johnny as the main character, he was a very curious person that wouldn’t stop asking questions. Then after they took Johnny out they used the girl as the main character and gave her decisions, they gave both genders a chance at the main character.

So yes I believe that the dystopian literature has rose in popularity because of gender roles,because the male or female want to relate or think that they have that same feeling that the character in the story has. The very tragic and crazy events that make the reader want to read more or have to wonder what happens next, and when the story is written in a teenagers prospective, the can be more connected and want to read more. These claims are just some of the reasons why dystopian literature is so popular and interesting to people.